Need some advice on what certs to go for next (MCSA or LINUX+/RHCSA

RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everybody, I'll keep this brief and to the point. Just looking for some advice.

I'm currently working in a helpdesk position in an office that is entirely OS X with a little bit of Linux. I'm planning on finishing my CCNA I'm June, but I'm unsure of what certification to pursue next. I originally planned on getting MCSA Server 2012 after my CCNA, but because I'm working in an Apple environment, should I focus more on Linux first?

I'd like to note that my long-term goals are not to remain in an Apple environment, but I will if the pay is good enough.

Comments

• TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm by no means able to give advice, but I will try my best. How long do you plan on staying at the company? How fast can you grab an Apple cert? Will it help your pay? Where do you want to move to next? What type of role are you interested in?
  • RedGaiterRedGaiter Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to move to a Microsoft office within two years at the most.

I'm interested in systems admin, with a strong knowledge of network admin
  • TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would definitely grab MCSA Server 2012 before you apply. I myself am thinking about Server 2012 MCSA And if it helps pay at your current job, and isn't a hassle, I would grab an Apple cert. However the apple cert is not necessary. Look at some job descriptions and see if server 2012 would be best or another cert like MCSA 8.1. I doubt it will carry more weight, but still something to look into.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here is what I would do. Since I can't forecast the future (which comes as a huge surprise to my kids), I would get the Linux+ cert first. That way, if I stay on with the present company for any length of time, that cert might get me a raise. After that, I'd focus on the MS Windows Server 2008/2012 cert. That will provide me with options for future employment, especially if things sour at the present employer.

Now, one advantage to that plan, if pitched correctly, is that you look like you are engaged in learning opportunities that benefit your present company while also looking like someone who is constantly striving to improve your knowledge of other technologies.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me