What if...

2»

Comments

• 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd focus on ideas and the 'next big thing' - a lot of research, marketing and management material, even if it's outside of IT / InfoSec.

Within the IT realm, I'd do C and assembler with YZFblu (we can do a study group!) and then I'd probably delve into IDA. I've always had a desire to be able to reverse engineer things, but it's a skill that I'd have no use for in my current role.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Interesting question! I would take the best hackers in the world and I would have them teach me the security goodies all day everyday(almost). It may seem kinda boring but that's what I would enjoy because it would line up nicely with my goals.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is a tough one.

If money was no object, I'd probably go for aviation school. If money was a concern, probably scripting/programming, specifically C languages; maybe R if I had some extra time. Then I'd move on to OSCP/CEH/Reverse Malware Analysis.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    I guess I should reply to the thread I started.

I would identify the top leader in the field of real-estate, finance, IT,Commerce, government, and engineering. I would spend a month with each leader shadowing their every waking moment. That would take 6 months of my time. I would then based on my reception to those 6 areas, create a deep dive session where I would build out the focus area I liked. Since other people would have to sleep, and I wouldn't icon_smile.gif, I would spend my "down" hours learning the core skills of the field I was focused on.

I am pretty well decided that IT is the vehicle for me, I am undecided as to what vertical market, and what subset of IT I will focus on.

-Phil
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I will spend my time to be a monk, mediating, and learning the dharma.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easy for me, I would find a mentor who had a scalable multi-million dollar business. Learn the ropes on how to create a valuable product or service that's a huge need and how to market and sell it for the first 6 months. The next 6 months would be spent putting what I learned into action.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Help rescue/transport labs/learn fencing/hire a trainer to run a half marathon.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Start PhD studies in Information Systems at the University of Texas. I've always been attracted to the idea of being a professor/researcher at a major research institution.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does "learn how to chill out properly" count ?
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd study Japanese. Despite my wife being from Japan, learning from her is a challenge. I took a class and self studied for a bit here and there, but if I were able to focus on it full time (class, tutor, or both), I'm sure that would help out a lot.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Living in a bubble studying is pretty hard. I tried it and I found it much easier to take in knowledge slowly and then do an intense 2-3 months and then go again slowly. I don't think I could do a full year straight and I doubt many people could do a full years straight of just studying. So my answer would be to just take a vacation and study a couple of hours per day meanwhile.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would spend more time with my family
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    OSCP

Because I want to be the best I can be in the field of INFOSEC. I'm currently working to strengthen my scripting, programming and command line kung-fu. I really wish I had paid more attention during my C programming class. At the time I really hated programming. I guess I was young and stupid.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Does "learn how to chill out properly" count ?

I'm trying to do that myself without cigars and scotch. It's tough!
  • wgroomwgroom Member Posts: 147
    For me, it would be to study for, and pass CCNA Voice, then dive in and study for, and pass, the CCNP Voice. That would be quite the year. I am only 30-45 days from passing my CCNA Voice, as life has intervened with my daughter requiring her 4th open heart surgery somewhat suddenly, and it has my mind scattered 4 ways to Sunday. Once that is complete, and she is on the mend, I will (hopefully) be back on track to take and pass my CCNA Voice. Hoping no later than the end of July. Then the CCNA R&S by October.
    Cisco VoIP Engineer I
    CCNA R&S COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Voice COLOR=#008000]Complete[/COLOR CCNA Collaboration [In Progress]
  • IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would learn different Kung fu Styles. Cause when i get home from work, I relax and watch old classic kung fu movies icon_thumright.gif
    :study:
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, what I learned from university was that learning gradually works better for long term memory retention rather than the cramming I used to do for assignments and exams
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would learn to play an instrument. Maybe classical, blues, or flamenco guitar or mandolin, or maybe classical cello. Music is something I've always dreamed of, but it's also something whose priority never rises close enough to the top to be a viable option. Something else has always been more important, and the idea of learning to play has fallen by the wayside. For as long as I can remember I've wanted to play music, I just never wanted it enough I guess.