RHCSA Passed!

icehacicehac Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally have passed the RHCSA exam. As many have said before, it requires a lot of practice. I studied using Jang's book, and went through the labs at least once a day. I felt a little over-prepared having done so, but that's ok! icon_cheers.gif
Current Goals: CCNA [X] RHCSA [X] MCSA [ ] RHCE []

Comments

• Muhammad AbaidMuhammad Abaid Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many Congratulation .... How much time did you take for preparation? Do you have Linux experience , I am planning RHCSA and RHCE for that but Waiting for RHEL 7
  • icehacicehac Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Muhammad, I appreciate it. As far as how much time did I take...I really hit the books hard for about 3 months before I took the test. I use Fedora as a desktop for work/home, which helped to get familiar with syntax. The place I'm at right now doesn't let me touch any of our linux servers, so I have no real world experience that could have helped me on the test unfortunately.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Congrats and good work passing the exam without having the opportunity to work with Linux at work, this will change soon though if you update your resume and put the RHCSA up ;)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• sasnimrodsasnimrod Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass :)

Hopefully you'll get the opportunity to work on linux servers soon enough :D
    Thanks guys! I sure hope so, the place im at still wont let me handle any of the nix stuff :/ hopefully that will change soon :)
  • devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I recently finished my CCNA, and now I'm diving into the RHCSA as well. We use a bit of OpenSUSE at my work, but that will probably be changing soon since we're moving away from Novell (finally). However, the little bits I've learned so far from studying for the RHCSA have helped me here and there at work already, and honestly I've always just been intrigued by Linux systems.

I'm in the same boat as you experience-wise. How long did it take you to prepare? I've been taking 1-2 hours per night to go over Jang's book and work through the labs. I was about 200 pages deep into the RHCSA/RHCE study by by Asghar Ghori, but I ran into so many typos and mistakes that I couldn't even get through the labs. I wasted a lot of time on his book. So for Jang's has been better, but the organization is a bit weird.
    @devils_haircut

1-2 hours a night sounds about right. I just made it a goal of mine to finish the labs before I went to bed every night. I came across a few websites online that offered RHCSA practice labs as well, and those were in the same to-do list with the ones from Jang's book. Using linux as my primary desktop for the past year or so helped as well imo.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on passing the RHCSA!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    icehac wrote: »
    I came across a few websites online that offered RHCSA practice labs as well, and those were in the same to-do list with the ones from Jang's book.

Would it be possible for you to list the websites that you used for the RHCSA practice labs?
    Thanks again guys!

Sure, I don't know if it's against the TOS....but I used a website called "CertDepot". They have daily RHCSA and RHCE tasks and things of the nature on there. There's also a really nice study exam out there called the "RHCSA **** Sheet", which detailed every topic you need to know for the exam...if you don't know those topics thoroughly I wouldn't suggest attempting the test, it would be a waste of money icon_sad.gif
    Thanks icehac. I've had a look at CertDepot and it certainly has lots of RHCSA material. Cheers icon_thumright.gif

A post on the website said that RHEL 7 should be released by the end of this month. Personally I think now it would be a good idea to wait for the RHCSA exam to be upgraded with the RHEL 7 material and then go for the exam once sufficient study material has been made available.