Certification Recommendations

Michael DMichael D Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
What certifications would you recommend to me?, I'm interested in doing something related to Networking and/or Security, and I've just finished College, so basic knowledge of I.T shouldn't be much of an issue.

Comments

• IS3IS3 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is a gray area for me since I got my CompTIA A+ and Net+ because a lot of people here either have the CompTIA trio (A+,N+,S+) to begin with and some peeps went straight to CCNA and or MCSA. I dont know if it is based on intelligence or just boredom with the foundational certifications or maybe due to work related requirements. So for my 2 cents I would recommend you getting the CompTIA trio to patch some holes that a College learning may have not focused on.
    :study:
  • niadoniado Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What type of degree did you get?
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    It's always been a tricky situation. Most of the company won't hire anyone with no networking experience but just have certs like CCNA or network+. At first, u need to find out the job postings in ur area & see what exactly are the requirements they r asking for. Then aim at the entry level position & get few more extra certs than they ask for so that u have an upper hand in the interview. Microsoft certs will get u there initially faster than just a CCNA or CompTIA certs. I'd suggest that you do network+ first, then try getting MCSA in an OS such as Win7 or Win8.1 . Then apply for jobs while u r getting ready for CCNA. once u have done those 3, u should get a decent pay entry level job & then u can focus on which sector pays the most or if that company has any advancement towards ur passion such as security or network admin. An MCSE in Win 2012 server along with CCNA will always get u a very good paying job almost everywhere. Another thing, there are lots of company are hiring lately for DOD contract Helpdesk job that requires CompTIA Security+ cert. & those jobs pay around $24/hr.......hope it helps my friend & good luck...
    Michael D wrote: »
    What certifications would you recommend to me?, I'm interested in doing something related to Networking and/or Security, and I've just finished College, so basic knowledge of I.T shouldn't be much of an issue.

• Michael DMichael D Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Didn't get a degree, in the UK you only get degrees at University, at College you get the equivalent of High School qualifications. I have a Diploma in Networking and Systems Support.
    niado wrote: »
    What type of degree did you get?
  • certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get an entry level job and advance yourself both experience and certification wise.
  • CJECJE Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it really depends on what you want to do in IT. The Comptia stuff is good for getting your feet wet and the studying might help you decide which way you want to go. If your degree is not in an IT related field I would grab a couple entry level certs to show that you know something and look for an entry level help desk or networking position to get some experience. Once you have some experience and know what you want to do in IT there are plenty of more specialized certs you can look into.