Is it worth it.

TByrd450TByrd450 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
As you can see below I have a pretty hefty certification track for high school. If I am looking for a DoD job, would server + help me get a job . I would like to work in a Noc, Soc, or in management. I don't want to program servers though.

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Skip it and go straight to the Security+ cert.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Orion101Orion101 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yea just Get some Security certs
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nobody care about server+. It's a waste of a cert. By the time you start dealing with servers it'll be much more beneficial to go after the higher level vendor specific certs.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would skip it as there are much better certs to help you advance your career and gain a better ROI. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    It's not a bad cert to have, but it doesn't do much for your resume.

The knowledge is useful, but many folks on this board absorbed that same knowledge simply working in data centers.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Forget about it and see my sig...
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Skip Server+ for the plain fact its a waste of a cert for your dream job. Get your Security career going with Sec+ and then move into a Security Penetration cert with some real world Security material to help you get a jump for your DOD career.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • human_abstracthuman_abstract Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I currently work for AFNOC (Air Force Network Operations Center) and it depends on what you want to to at the NOC. If you want to do networking/routing, get your CCNA, and be on your way to CCNP. If you want to do Security, such as proxies, get a CEH. If you want to do Systems Administration, and work on servers (you specifically stated you didn't), you would get Microsoft server certifications.

This should apply most places. The way to tell is to look up the job you want, and check out the requirements. Check out usajobs.gov.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Never seen Server+ on any job listing I've ever come across. Some people don't even know it exists which is crazy when you think about how popular A+, Net+, and Security+ are.

I've only ever worked with one person who had it, and they were hardly any different in their duties and pay than me.

Skip it.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I debated on studying for Server+. Its a non-vender server administration right? So it would cover minor topics in Microsoft and Linux administration?
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    I think following suit with CompTIA's vendor neutrality I would think would a fair guesstimate Doyen. :) - I might just do Server + since I want to cover all my bases and not be generalized to one vendor's ways of handling a server. IE: F8 doesn't have the same function for Linux icon_lol.gif
  • abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know I said this in another thread, but thought I would add it here in case it applies to someone who is searching. Warranty technicians (Business Partners) for IBM xseries servers and Lenovo servers are required to have the Server+ as well as the IBM and Lenovo tests before you can be authorized to work on their equipment. (Doesn't mean you can't work on them, they just won't pay you to do it.) Otherwise, I don't see the benefit in spending money on it.