Not to familiar with Python

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am currently enrolled in a Data Science course through Coursera.

I will be using SQL and R which I am familiar with, however I am not very familiar with Python. Does this seem a bit much for a entry level data science course?

Anyway from what I can tell Python doesn't look to bad. Reminds me of VB a little.

I am using the on line editor playing around with it. It looks like you can float and cast like other languages. I'm just wondering if I am biting off more than I can chew taking a intense data course and being expected to use 2 programming languages and SQL.

Comments

• NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Python is a very easy language to learn. I recommend it to anyone that is first getting started in scripting/programming. If you have had experience with other object-oriented languages....you should be good.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the reply. Probably just getting worked up over nothing.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Python is a great language for learning. I would say that it is perfect for an entry level data science course - it's practical, relevant and powerful.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like a good one, signed up.
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm currently learning Python. So far I really like it.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Isn't Python considered a C-offshoot? If that's the case, it s should be easy for anyone who's had Java forced on them (e.g. WGU grads). :D
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Isn't Python considered a C-offshoot? If that's the case, it s should be easy for anyone who's had Java forced on them (e.g. WGU grads). :D

Ahhh the infamous Java course. icon_lol.gif Never took Java just 2 VB and several database courses from the community college.

My only experience with WGU was in their graduate program, my under grad was business related, so I did deal with stats, 0 programming though.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Python can truly be picked up within a day (at least to the point where you understand what's going on). You'll be just fine I wouldn't worry about it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Muhammad AbaidMuhammad Abaid Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am start Learning Python because of OSCP on my track oct 2014
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    I took a python class throuh cousera. Through Rice University. Great class. I am waiting for the second one to begin. Anyway, you will love learning python. Just pay attention to your tabbing. You'll know what I mean once you start.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    While there are plenty of great courses out there, using sublime text has really been a lot of help for me while learning to work with python, perl, ruby, bash, etc, since it is easier to see where you made syntax mistakes/typos. Also great for config files as well.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Once you've picked up the basics of a few programming languages, it becomes fairly easy to pick up others. For instance, you know there are going to be variables, loops, if/else statements, switches, functions, etc. What you really focus on at that point are the differences. For example, the syntax of a for loop is a different in C vs. Python, but the general concept is the same.

As long as you understand the basic components and logic, then you shouldn't have any issues.