Cert Advice Needed :)

FatManFatMan Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys

I need some help with what certification i should do to get a Job.

Education
-Just Graduated - Accounting Degree -Convocation is in Juneicon_cool.gif
- Just Completed the CCNA May 27th icon_lol.gif

Work Experience
2 Years Accounts Payable
5 Years Security Guard for a University

If Anyone wondering why go into IT i am more interested in IT then accounting. When i picked Accounting i blindly picked it as i was young and just wanted to do something.

- As of Right now i am just about to study to get MCSA Server 2012 - going to start with the 410

Any Advice on what i should do after the MCSA i hear InfoSec would be good since i have an accounting degree like the CISSP or the CISA.

And what i should do to get a job to get a Experience

If someone could give me some Advice that be awesome

Thanks for taking your time

Comments

• jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Help desk might be your best bet to start off in.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • FatManFatMan Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so is the CCNA good enough to start looking or should i finish the MCSA:server 2012
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen plenty of people get a help desk position with just a CCNA.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'd suggest MCSA 2008, not a whole lot of companies are springing to 2012 that I've seen, so 08 would probably help you a bit more.
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Can't you combine accounting with IT in some fashion? That seems potentially way more lucrative to me than starting at the bottom of the IT tech ladder.
    well that is where i am lost what do i do to combine accounting and IT ... Do i even Need Certs or what jobs do i look for ?
  • LauraMalaveLauraMalave Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IT auditing would seem like a good fit for someone with an accounting degree and an interest in IT.

The Path to IT Audit
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, the concepts and practices of Information Systems Auditing are taken direct from financial auditing. Having CPA skills definitely helps in many types of IA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also, JDMurray could you also possibly conquer with project management? With being able to keep track of a current project while maintaining a budget or possibly using this for risk analysis or risk mitigation.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Yes, PM skills are very useful and desirable in all area of IT, providing that you've managed projects typical of IT. Managing multiple teams to build skyscrapers and bridges would have some value, but not as much as managing teams to implement an information systems or maintain the operation of a very large network.

Anything to do with "risk" in InfoSec comes directly from insurance companies, which is the ultimate risk-based business. Any understanding of how insurance companies view and assess risk is valuable in InfoSec too.
    Thank You Everyone that took there time to reply to this thread.

Does anyone know of any great deals on the MCSA:server 2012 Exams vouchers or a 2nd shot voucher.

Thanks Everyone :)
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Infosec Cert Easiest Path
    Try to aim for some of them.
    0-2 years
    SEC+, CEH, SSCP
    2-4 years
    GISP, G2700, GCIH, CASP
    GSEC
    > 4 years
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC

Also, you can complete CISSP at 3.6 years of experience, you had 9 months to submit your credentials before your credential kicks in.
  • logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just to chime in on the IT and accounting connection. My first IT job was working at an accounting firm. Our team consisted of 8 members and we supported a little over 300 staff members. There was always work to be done. Most of it consisted of troubleshooting applications such as Quickbooks, Excel, and Outlook. I also did a lot of laptop repairs as well. Accountants are suprisingly rough on their machines. It was a great experience and I started with just an A+ and two years of Community College. Granted I was already working in their print shop and promoted to the IT dept after graduating but it was a great entrance into the IT field and I started at 45K. Since then, thingshave changed and I'm no longer there. Now I'm working in a Call Center doing Help desk work for a printer company aka Hell. I feel like the Universe is getting me back for skipping the crappy entry level jobs and now I'm paying dues that most people pay at the begining of thier careers. Time to start hitting the books and add some certs to my resume.