Options

Graduate Programs in Europe (German-speaking Countries Preferred)

powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
So, it has been quite some time since I posted. I completed the MS in Cybersecurity Policy program from UMUC at the end of 2012. I had been "tinkering" with German for years and with my new found free time after graduating, I decided to get a bit more seriously with my efforts to learn German. So, I started utilizing Pimsleur in the first half of 2013 and became rather comfortable with everyday conversations. In the Fall of 2012, I decided to take a class at my alma mater since I can take undergrad courses for free w/o credit. I jumped into German II and felt rather at ease with most of the instruction and enjoyed working with the professor. This past semester I jumped in and took two German courses, one at the 200 level and another at the 300 level (which the 300 level was paid for and for credit, got an A). I have considered pursuing a BA in German a I would not have to take any of the lower level courses (100 and 200 level courses are granted upon the completion of at least two 300 level courses), but it would be a significant cost (my alma mater is $1k per credit hour). So, I have considered continuing my primary focus of education related to technology...

I am looking for a university that can grant the equivalent of a PhD in an IT-focused area that will also accept my MS as transfer credit. I would highly prefer a German-speaking country, and based on my connections, Germany would be best as I can get some assistance working with the DAAD for my student visa and perhaps some scholarship/stipend money. However, I wouldn't be opposed to a school in Switzerland or Austria. As far as getting up to speed, part of my student visa would include a crash course to bring me up to level for my program.

This would help me further three goals: 1) furthering my education, 2) improving my German, and 3) giving me the opportunity to do extensive travel in Europe.

At some point, I may apply for an EU Blue Card so I can work. My current employer has a European partner that I could work with which is located in Berlin, and a former colleague of mine works for a consulting company out of Munich, so I have some connections.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

EDIT: So far, I have found this: International Max Planck Research School for Computer Science in Saarbruecken

Pros: 160 Euro per semester, courses available in German and English
Cons: Heavy CompSci requirements and my undergrad is in Information Systems, I may have to take more courses before beginning and I likely won't get much in transfer from my MS.
2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think your two biggest challenges will be getting into a good school without having a thesis or other published work and not having a CS background for the program you listed. The european model is built differently than N/A. Most will expect you have at least 1/3 of the previous degree as a thesis and lots of programming experience.

My biggest suggestion is to find a supervisor in the school you want to go to first and approach them. You should also have a rough proposal ready (5-10 pages) if they show interest.
  • Options
    LevithanLevithan Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I read your post earlier and wanted to reply but didn't have a chance til now.....

Seeing that you have a CISSP, why don't you just search for work in DE/A/CH? I'm not sure how good your German is, but if you are at a decent level, I'm sure you could probably get a sponsorship by a company to work somewhere in the area.

You should also be aware that most schools require you to pass a C level DSH or TestDAF course to prove your level of German before you can be accepted to a German school as a foreigner.

I've been in Europe for going on 5 years now, and it took alot of effort before I finally found a job that would employ me. Granted, I'm a dual citizen, but still, I'd guess as only being an American, you may be looking at an even harder entry...

Let us know how it goes for you!