CCENT - Last Minute Advice?

bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
I am taking my CCENT in about 25 hours (tomorrow at 2PM central time).

I am a little nervous as I've been studying the past 4 months with the Odom book, Jeremy's videos, and Packet Tracer, and it's finally time. I've taken many practice exams the past couple weeks, and I still have a little trouble focusing on every single detail.

That's what scares me the most. I feel like I know most of the material very well, but misreading or forgetting one single detail can result in a wrong answer.

I'm wondering if any of you have last minute (or last day to be precise) advice on what to study, or how to prepare myself before taking the exam?

Is there anything I should write on the whiteboard besides:

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
128 192 224 240 248 252 254 255

Any advice is extremely helpful. Thanks!

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The last day you don't want to stress to much. Think about the big picture. The test is not really designed to trick you.

Read every question. Answer the question. Then read it again to make sure your answer makes sense. Correct number of items are picked etc..
    Then move on to the next question.

If anything I say practice subnetting. Subnetting Practice Questions

Good Luck!
  • bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
    Thanks Jon! I have used that very same website to practice subnetting the past month. I have gotten pretty quick, but will definitely spend an hour or so right before I leave for the exam so everything is fresh.

Is it correct there are around 50 questions? I know the exam is 1 hr 50 min long. I'm wondering how people keep track of time so they know they can finish? Any advice on that?
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got home from taking this exam. I'll try to help but have to be mindful of the "agreement" you sign to divulge to much about the test.

Firstly you should know that while they do give you a laminated board prior to the exam, they only give you one and they don't give out erasers. IIRC the lady at the testing center told me not to erase the board prior to giving it back at the end of the exam.

You can ask for another but you have to give the first one back. I tell you this cause if you write out a whole bunch of crib notes (I won't lie, I did) on the first board you'll loose them if you need to ask for another. Whether or not you'll have time during the exam to write them all out again is anyone's guess.

Take your time, read the questions, and look at all the answers first before selecting one. Make sure you provide the right amount of answers to the questions.

Lastly, tonite shouldn't be a all night cram session, get some rest. Arrive at the testing center early so you can get the feel of the place and relax. The test really isn't that bad, I got stuck in a few places and thought I was going to run out of time. Even had to guess a few questions just to keep the ball rolling.

You will be back here tomorrow reporting you passed. Good Luck.icon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    show this and that commands.. One of my favorites is sh ip os int

subnetting you should be able to do in less than 30 seconds

Here's some last minute practice: subnetting.org - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
    The test will have a timer on it so you will know how long you have. Don't let it stress you out just be aware of it.
    I think the exam is 90 minutes and the testing window is slightly longer because of the introduction and survey.

Good Luck!
    Thanks everyone! You guys have made me feel a bit better about the exam with all of your information and advice. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help me and share information!
    One more question:

Does anyone know where I can find a lab on Packet Tracer that has basically everything in the CCENT applied to routers, switches, and PCs? For example, all the base configurations, DHCP, DNS, OSPF, ACL, NAT/PAT, IPv6?

I ask because I would really like to practice several "show" commands to go over the information in each command. If not, I suppose I could create a lab like this, but it would probably take me an hour or two, and I was hoping to save time.

Thanks!
    Bump, just in case nobody saw my question.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No need, when in doubt just view the running configuration
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    Sorry I don't have any good suggestions. I mostly used the labs from the Netacad course when I did my review.

you might want to take a look at this site DansCourses.com | Computer Networking Classes Taught by Dan Alberghetti

I don't know if it has anything as broad as you are looking for.
    xnx wrote: »
    No need, when in doubt just view the running configuration

Thanks. I thought I heard that the running config isn't always available and that you have to use some other show commands sometimes. Is this true, or am I wrong?
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks. I thought I heard that the running config isn't always available and that you have to use some other show commands sometimes. Is this true, or am I wrong?
    Should be available on CCENT, you can also use 'show ip protocols'
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently

Last chance--- I can't stay here all night
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    Last chance--- I can't stay here all night

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are talking about?

I viewed your previous post and saw the website you gave me to use. Thank you for that!
    Mikey,

I am very sorry. I didn't see your PM til just now. Thank you!
    I passed guys!!!

Thank you all so much for your advice and helpful information!
  • TechnoracerTechnoracer Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Congrats.. As for labs, since you have passed CCENT, I'll have to setup some higher level ones

Thanks everyone, and thank you mikey! Have you started studying for CCNA? Or do you have it and just haven't updated your certifications on here?
    C, wasn't so bad after all. Good job on the pass.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    I am studying for Icnd2. I bought three 2960s last week and installed them in my lab. I have five diff study materials Lammle, Exam cram, graziani, Johnson, and In 60 days.com The new curve ball in ccna is the licensing installations.. that's new to me! Thinking about buying a better router that does ipv6. Looking to take the exam at the end of July

Any new people want to buy some 2950s?:)
    I use 3750's in my lab. I moved my test date back from 26 Jun to 11 July for the ICND2 so I'll be just ahead of you. Reading Lammle's book as well and after reading the chapter on Enhanced Switched Technologies (15) I thought I'd better not rush it.
  • RoxtonRoxton Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Guys

I have been a silent member of the forum reading and taking the advise on many pages.

I am writing my CCENT next week, And i am wondering if there are any additional guidence around what commands i should know for the exam for the simulations, i have the basics down.

thanks for the assist.