Taking 70-687 in 3 weeks

JD77V17JD77V17 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have signed up to take the 70-687 Certification Exam in 3 weeks.

I just attended the "20687C Configuring Windows 8.1" 5 day microsoft training class. Now I am reading "Exam Ref 70-687: Configuring Windows 8.1". Can anyone tell me if these two things together should be good enough to pass this exam? This would be my first Microsoft Exam after 14 years in the Desktop Support/Engineering industry. I've just finally realized I need to start adding certs to my resume so these exams will be brand new to me since I have had little to no exposure to these exams.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

Comments

• omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    i'm preparing for the exam also......i'm just doing self studying & pluralsight videos...the topics & contents of the book seems pretty easy but most of the test questions seems like are AD DS related & more of theory based rather than hands-on experience....this will be my first MS test as well....by the way, how is the MS bootcamp? how much does it cost & is it worth it? to me it seems like cisco contents r pretty hard but tests r easy casue they don't trick question u like MS....good luck & keep posted..
  • JD77V17JD77V17 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The MS courses were good but the new labs MS uses are way to complex for someone new to Windows 8.1. You really just end up going through the motions without learning much about what you are doing. I took the class remotely from Maryland with a live instructor in NY. That part worked well and the instructor was knowledgeable however I think the big fail in MS training is how the course is really not geared toward getting you certified. I've taken somewhere around 20 week long MS courses lover the last 8-9 years and its always been the same lack of prep. I understand they are not prep courses specifically but the instructors usually only mention once in a while "You'll probably see this on the exam" and that's really it for linking the courses to certifications. You would think since Microsoft runs these courses and wants you to spend the money to get certified they would push to identify exam worthy material more in depth.

I think the best part about the MS courses is that if you go through certain IT Training companies they actually let you access the class recorder and labs/virtual machines for 6 months after attending the class. That's actually what I'm doing now is watching the recordings again. The course was $2995 for 5 days, I paid with company provided vouchers so it was free. I would not have paid that out of pocket for this course or just about any of the MS courses I've taken over the years. I would probably be able to find the same information through CBT or Youtube for cheaper or free.
    Really need to make sure I'm prepared. Any help is appreciated!
    I'm nervous but also ready for it to be over. I simply want to see if I've been on the right track or not in my learning strategy. This will be my first Microsoft exam.

Training and learning used:
    5 Day Microsoft Windows 8.1 Class
    Exam Rep 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1
    Some Trainsignal Videos
    Some Youtube Videos
    Practice tests and questions

I think everything and everyone says something different with what will be on the test. I can't remember it all especially when I personally don't use 8.1 daily.

I'm pretty knowledgeable in Windows 7 which should at least help with a couple basics and the class and book where good but its still a lot of content.
    A lot of very specific questions and the drag n drops were everywhere. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this one off with my free second shot. I would need to learn a lot before the reexam.

I guess I'll try as hard as a I can to spend time on my weakest areas. Hope that helps.
  • omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    message me if u can
  • zeldamikezeldamike Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I failed my first shot of the test as well last month. I'm going to be taking my second shot later this month. I've been using pluralsight videos and the exam ref book, but there were a lot of questions that just plain weren't covered. A lot of specifics and even 3 or 4 IPV6 questions. I'm studying my weak points but man I'm not sure it's going to be enough. Trick questions all over the place seems like the amount of material available for this test is minimal and a lot of it is very incomplete or so it seems.
  • hsvrunloverhsvrunlover Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zeldamike wrote: »
    I failed my first shot of the test as well last month. I'm going to be taking my second shot later this month. I've been using pluralsight videos and the exam ref book, but there were a lot of questions that just plain weren't covered. A lot of specifics and even 3 or 4 IPV6 questions. I'm studying my weak points but man I'm not sure it's going to be enough. Trick questions all over the place seems like the amount of material available for this test is minimal and a lot of it is very incomplete or so it seems.

I would suggest pluralsight. Got me through A+, Net +, and SEC + with minimal effort. FYI I didn't even know what a switch was a year ago.....And had never heard of the company Cisco.
  • zeldamikezeldamike Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just passed my exam this morning. Use youtube and search for tutorials on the features new to windows 8 like file history, bitlocker, and things like that.
  • dave1227dave1227 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest pluralsight. Got me through A+, Net +, and SEC + with minimal effort. FYI I didn't even know what a switch was a year ago.....And had never heard of the company Cisco.

Looks like Pluralsight vids are for Windows 8 not 8.1. Would that be a huge difference for the exam? I'm about halfway thru the 70-687 8.1 book and that's all I've used for study material so far. Can't seem to find a lot out there for 8.1,just the previous 8 exam.
  • dave1227dave1227 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    zeldamike wrote: »
    I just passed my exam this morning. Use youtube and search for tutorials on the features new to windows 8 like file history, bitlocker, and things like that.

Congrats on the pass. I'll probably take mine in about 6 weeks or so. I'm studying for the Security + also and I'm going to take that 1st since I'm more confident on that one.