Options

Router to Router Connection

akazeroakazero Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
In the lab manual, it uses serial connection (DTE/DCE) between routers. Can I use ethernet crossover instead?

I have 2 x 1841 (no expansion card) and 1 x 1721 (1 x Ethernet card).

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The serial connections are for WAN connectivity so it will all depend on what you are trying to do.
    You can connect the two of them with the ethernet ports to start learning.

Good Luck
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As already stated...you could to simulate internal routers versus via a wan. The only real config difference is setting a clock and rate if you choose...at the most basic of setup.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Using ethernet versus WAN just means you dont use clock rate in the config and you do have MAC addresses going accross the link as compared to WAN links..I would get a couple of WICs if they apply to your router for the future for objectives such as PPP/CHAP etc
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Get a couple of HWIC modules, they make life so much easier and they are really not that expensive if you shop on ebay.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can. Another option is T1, which [unlike back-to-back serial] is actually used in real production networks. The clock rate commands are a little different, but T1 (WIC-1DSU-T1-V2) is cheaper and you can make your own cables (Flip the orange and blue pairs on one end of a standard patch cable).

(config-if)# service-module t1 timeslots 1-24
    (config-if)# service-module t1 clock source { internal | line }

The first command sets the speed of the link. Each "timeslot" is 64 Kbps. 1-24 = Full T1 (1.544 Mbps).
    The second specifies if the device is a DCE or DTE (internal = DCE, line = DTE)
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]