Ccna

den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've just started to study for the CCNA today, i'm going to do it starting with ICND1 and then with the second one, passed the Network+ last mth, how much harder will it be compared to the N+, i found the N+ pretty easy once it clicked....icon_study.gif

Comments

• davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've seen someone say it before and it stuck in my head: Network+ is an appetizer - you'll be served an entree with CCNA.

There is some overlap between ICND1 and N+ which helps a bit I guess. However, I can't help thinking now that Network+ was kind of a waste of time..
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't take it as lightly as you did Net+. I will say if you retain your subnetting skills, your common port numbers, and the OSI and TCP/IP model, you'll be a step ahead of those starting the track.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • subnettingpracticesubnettingpractice Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CCNA is definitely more work. I thought Network+ was a lot more theoretical, where as CCNA has a lot more practical applications. Knowing how to do something rather than having a general idea of something. You will probably want to get Packet Tracer to practice commands and know subnetting backwards and forwards.
  • den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies folks, just one more thing, a lab...Would it be worth the investment ?, i see a couple knocking about on local buy & sell mags here in Ireland but they're looking for €300/400 for them...
  • OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you've got the money to throw around, go for it. If not, just use packet tracer and GNS3. You'll be golden with just that. I personally did not use a lab for CCNA, but then again I work in a routing and switching environment, so that's debatable :D
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks ofwolfandman...
  • roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the Network+ exam a few years ago and I too found it relative easy. Considering my education and work experience. That said, I just completed the ICND1 exam and am studying for the ICND2/CCNA and will say they are worlds apart.

Case in point, Subnets and IP Addressing are a mere topic in the Network+ exam but they are the meat and potatoes for the Cisco exams. You have so many questions were you'll need to be able to subnet or recognize what subnet a address is in very quickly. Don't get me started about IP routing, switching and understand how each deals with a packet/frame.

Once you begin your studies you'll start to see the difference but like others have said, Network+ is a decent start but it in no way compares directly to CCNA.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.