Options

Leaving a Job Early?

philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
Any of you have a one year policy on changing roles in your company? I took a new role, and to be honest, I don't think it's the right fit for me. I was in our regional meeting and it was brought up that we need to hire a sales person by July. Our sales manager said if I can convince my boss to let me go, he'd be happy to have me.

I am a very technical person, but I thrive on human interaction and I get so little of it in my current role. I have always liked sales engagements and have always put off going into sales for fear of living on commission. Due to things happening in my life, I have adopted the philosophy that I only live once and I should go for it.

What I am specifically asking here is. What is the best way to discuss with your boss that you don't think the current role is for you and that you want to move into a different role. I'm not leaving the company, and the company existed without my role for a year so I don't think it would be devastating for me to transfer 5 months into my new role.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A shame your "new" sales manager asks you to convince your current one. Would have thought it would be easier if he is requesting you internally.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    A shame your "new" sales manager asks you to convince your current one. Would have thought it would be easier if he is requesting you internally.

Scabbing is highly discouraged in my company. I heard about the new role, and told the new sales manager I was interested. He said I would need to get a waiver from my current manager, but that if my current one approved he'd be happy to have me. Internal requests don't really happen in my company.

Plus I am in a corporate salary position and this would be a regional sales position.
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At the end of the day it comes down to what you want and what makes you happy. Do you know the turn over rate in the sales position? and are the sale guys happy and making good money? You should do some scouting and get more info from a current sales person to have a full understanding of whats required and what you will expect in the position before you discuss anything with your manager.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Not to belittle your situation, but what's the question? Tell your boss exactly what you said here. Be blunt, be thankful for the time you had with him/her, and make the request. :)
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This situation actually happened to me. I was honest, explained that the current role is not a good fit for me. A good manager will help you achieve your goals. If he/she does not allow you to grow, than it's not a good manager to have. Of course your team might rely on you for your day to day activities or projects that are pending, but regardless of the circumstances, you go through a transition period until they can hire someone else.

One thing I will say, try not to make your situation seem negative by saying things like the job is boring or you're just not interested. Instead, point out things like your goals and what your strengths are and why you feel this new opportunity would be a right fit for you and you should be alright.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've tried this before it doesn't work. In fact I have never seen it work for friends or co workers either.

You were brought in for a specific position I don't think they will let you go. There is so much risk with a move like this, not to sound like a downer but........

What's your current role, anything to do with engagements or sales? Do you have any sales experience? IMO Sales is a position you just don't walk into at least at high level sales role. I've seen engineers go into pre sales roles, but a pure sales roles is not going to happen unless you climb that ladder.
  • Options
    TheProf wrote: »
    This situation actually happened to me. I was honest, explained that the current role is not a good fit for me. A good manager will help you achieve your goals. If he/she does not allow you to grow, than it's not a good manager to have. Of course your team might rely on you for your day to day activities or projects that are pending, but regardless of the circumstances, you go through a transition period until they can hire someone else.

One thing I will say, try not to make your situation seem negative by saying things like the job is boring or you're just not interested. Instead, point out things like your goals and what your strengths are and why you feel this new opportunity would be a right fit for you and you should be alright.

I recently applied for a sales position within my company. Formally interviewed and went to the hiring manager internally. We had a really good conversation, I even gave him an out saying I had light industry experience. <Crickets> My current boss and I were talking and he asked were I was at on that position. He was probably posturing, either way it's all good. I told him they didn't contact me or set up an interview. He basically said they were bad at following up.

So be it...... *** My point it was completely swept under the rug.

The good news is after months of managing upward to my boss I am going to transition into a project manager. He said 80% PM and 20% analytics. I write great reports so they don't want to lose that.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think you are in bit of a tough spot. Personally, I think if your heart is set at it, you should absolutely explore it. Otherwise, you will always wonder.

You've already crossed the hurdle in socializing the concept with the hiring manager. My suggestion is that when speaking with your manager, I would not necessarily position that the current position isn't right for you. Make it a conversation about what you can contribute most to your company. The conversation ought to be about where in the company you can contribute most value and you think that there is a gap in sales and you can fill it. Sales brings revenue into the company and if you can help make the company more successful than your current manager can be the hero by helping with the top-line.

Also - along with that approach, you could suggest that perhaps it's more of a part-time assignment. And sales will get you out to understand more about the business and what prospective customers want - that experience will only make you better at your current job.

I wish you well. I hope you go for it.
  • Options
    Paul I could see through that a mile away, don't you think an experienced manager would be able to do this same?

Just for the record, OP I think you should pursue your goals, but realistically you are a long shot in this role given the information you have provided.

I wish you the best.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup absolutely. But it's really all about the how the idea is presented. The conversation needs to be about the what's best for the company, not what's best for the individual. A manager's job is about putting people in the correct jobs so that they can contribute the most value to the company.

After all - if the OP wants to be in sales, the first huddle is selling the concept icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    paul78 wrote: »
    After all - if the OP wants to be in sales, the first huddle is selling the concept icon_smile.gif

Too funny! I get what you are saying though. The mitigate potential risk of look disgruntled with your position if you spin it that way it merely makes it look like you are a team player or attempting to be. So if the transition doesn't take place you still have a solid relationship with your boss and he thinks you at least somewhat like the position.

Just for the record I have tried this before several times and it has never worked. Now what has happened shortly after (~1 year) is that they ended up change my role within that department. Like now I am a BA but will be moving on into a PM role. This is where my heart is and honestly where my natural skills lay. Like you Phil I love interaction and engaging people. While there is no way in hell they are going to put me on the sales team icon_lol.gif, I am getting my wish to manage internal projects. Not getting the external ones icon_lol.gif