changes in RH Certification Program

brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□

Comments

• Muhammad AbaidMuhammad Abaid Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Many Thanks for Info
  • notquitecertifiablenotquitecertifiable Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm a little unclear on the recert requirements - "Red Hat Certificates of Expertise earned on or after October 1, 2014 will be
    considered current for three (3) years from the date they are earned."

Does the expiry of any one CoE cost you your RHCA or does renewing any of them update them all for a while? Updating / taking 5 exams every 3 years is going to be insanely expensive.
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope that they design the renewal like Cisco did - every exam from 642 level extends the validity time of all 642 exams for 2 or 3 years.
    5 exams x 740 EUR/exam = 3700 EUR every 3 years is not acceptable for me icon_sad.gif
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    As a Red Hat employee, my understanding of this policy is that if you are RHCSA/RHCE, any "expertise" exam will extend your cert for another 3 years. ie, if you hold RHCE now, and pass the Openstack administration exam, for example, your RHCE gets bumped as well.

Personally, I'm very happy about these exam changes. I got my RHCE last year, and I've passed the Openstack & Red Hat Storage exams since joining Red Hat. I was looking at taking the Openshift administration & RHEV exams over the summer, then starting the path toward RHCA in the fall. But if I pass those two, I'll only need one more exam for RHCA level 1.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
    jmritenour wrote: »
    As a Red Hat employee, my understanding of this policy is that if you are RHCSA/RHCE, any "expertise" exam will extend your cert for another 3 years. ie, if you hold RHCE now, and pass the Openstack administration exam, for example, your RHCE gets bumped as well.

Personally, I'm very happy about these exam changes. I got my RHCE last year, and I've passed the Openstack & Red Hat Storage exams since joining Red Hat. I was looking at taking the Openshift administration & RHEV exams over the summer, then starting the path toward RHCA in the fall. But if I pass those two, I'll only need one more exam for RHCA level 1.

Great, but what about the validity of CoE exams? Should I pass second time the CoE (eg. 413) or the other CoE will extend the validity of my previous CoEs? This make no sense if I should pass all CoEs to extend the validity. I can't afford to spend almost 4000 EUR every 3 years... IMHO you should use the Cisco-way - any of 642 exams will extend the validity of all 642 exams.
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Red Hat CoEs don't expire as far as I know. See my certification validation. My two CoEs I have are listed as "current" with no expiration date. My RHCSA & RHCE both have validity dates. I'm probably going to take the OpenShift exam this week, so we'll see if that ups either of those dates if I pass.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Red Hat CoEs don't expire as far as I know. See my certification validation. My two CoEs I have are listed as "current" with no expiration date. My RHCSA & RHCE both have validity dates. I'm probably going to take the OpenShift exam this week, so we'll see if that ups either of those dates if I pass.

This is a quote from RH official site (first link in this thread):
    Red Hat Certificates of Expertise earned on or after October 1, 2014 will be considered current for
    three (3) years from the date they are earned.
    Red Hat Certificates of Expertise earned before October 1, 2014 will be considered current until
    October 1, 2017. Red Hat appreciates and acknowledges the professionals who have been earning
    Certificates of Expertise since 2005 and wants to ensure that the transition to the new policy is
    done in the least disruptive manner possible.

So what will happen after October 1, 2017? Should I renew ALL my CoEs and pay again almost 4000 EUR? Or should I pass only one and all CoEs will be renewed?
    If this is a first option that I should rethink my RH-adventure and maybe switch to Cisco's CCDE/CCIE or Juniper's JNCIE... CCIE/CCDE requires only written exam (~150 USD) every 2 years and JNCIE requires JNCIP (also test/written - ~300 USD) every 2 years.
    And they're better placed on market - almost 70% of RHCAs in my country works for RedHat or training companies and the salary is not competitive comparing to network experts...
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've came to the same conclusion. I've already started to switch to security. I will keep my RHCE current because I love linux and I like the practical nature of the exam but for me this is it.
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Exam updated for RHEL 7. They've added some new objectives but not so many
    Red Hat | Training | Exam objectives