Anyone take 70-682 upgrade exam recently?

BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a MCDST XP from way back and I saw I could still upgrade to Win 7 before July 31st I think. The mycertification planner tool says I'll get MCTS: Windows 7, Configuration by doing this. Does it really replace 70-680, the exam EVERYBODY complains about being so tough? Further looking around at MS Learning says I'd also get MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician Windows 7 and MCSA: Windows 7 out of the single upgrade exam. Am I missing something here or mis-read? Something seems way too easy unless the 70-682 is a beast.

Comments

• PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 682 exam is a combo upgrade exam which covers the 70-680 and 685 exam. I tried it when it first came out, which was right around when 685 was pretty new as well and lacking materials. Studied for the 680 like crazy and gathered bits and pieces for 685 and luckily going in with a second shot, failed with a 662. As expected, was strong on 680 and weak on 685.. Studied hard on the 685 for a month and wrote again. Don't remember the score on this one but apparently all the 685 stuff shoved the 680 out lol.

Anyway, no real point to the story, I just like to tell it and laugh at myself.. In short:
    682 = 680+685 and the designations that come with
    it's not easy. not a beast but not to be taken lightly

Good luck!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • BosskBossk Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the insight. I think I may give it a go the end of June. I've gotten pretty deep into Windows 7, especially having just finished a big XP migration.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • shuck13000shuck13000 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Did you do the exam yet? I passed 70-682 on Thursday there and so far my MS transcript only shows the MCTS, configuring Win 7 cert, not the MCITP or the MCSA. I just did the exam so I could do the upgrade to Win 8 exam but can't without the MCITP or MCSA. I'll be pretty pissed off if the MCITP has been withdrawn or something. Anybody else had a similar experience?!
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    shuck13000 wrote: »
    Hi,

Did you do the exam yet? I passed 70-682 on Thursday there and so far my MS transcript only shows the MCTS, configuring Win 7 cert, not the MCITP or the MCSA. I just did the exam so I could do the upgrade to Win 8 exam but can't without the MCITP or MCSA. I'll be pretty pissed off if the MCITP has been withdrawn or something. Anybody else had a similar experience?!

It can take 7 business days to appear... which means you have waited ONE business day.

Give it a couple days.. then help mcphelp@microsoft.com if it doesn't appear...

-scott
    I'm not planning on taking it until the 23rd of June.

I've never tried the email address, but have always had good luck calling the regional service center if I had a problem. As SweenMachine said though, give it some time.
  • ethicsethics Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How did it go? Any tips? Thanks in advance. I am looking to write end of the month
    I ran into a scheduling conflict. Next chance won't be until around the 22nd of July...I'm cutting it close for the July 31 deadline.
    I am going to schedule mine for the 31st. Are you using cbtnuggets 70-682? Do I need to study 680/685 as well?
    I've been using/managing Win7 since RC1 so I feel I've got a good baseline as-is. I have hit some of the 70-680 and 685 study guides I found on here for the high-points. I also went through the MVA Win7 course not long ago, and spent a lot of time in technet when I managed our XP migration. From looking at the CBT Nuggets, I think I may do the 7 day trial and use that as the last minute review. My main focus has been WGU and the certs that go along with it...70-682 has routinely been a secondary or lower focus as time permits.
  • Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My experience of preparing for 70-682.
    I plucked study materials for both 680 and 685.
    Download the exam objectives for 70-682, go through the topics thoroughly and make sure you understand before you sit it.

Certainly not an easy exam. I barely passed with a 737.

I wish you all well. icon14.png
    ok thank you all. I am using 7 day free trial (saved videos -firefox/downloadhelper) 70-682....also will look over 680/685 videos as well.
    Well, gave it a go yesterday and failed the 685 section. About 95% sure I won't take it again. The test center is an hour away and I just don't see having the time before the July 31st upgrade deadline.

Other than the 74-409 exam, this was my first MS OS exam in a while. I thought the questions were awful. Excessively long scenarios and overly wordy in general. On the bright side, I didn't pay full price. Back to the WGU studies for me...bring on the CCNA!

Good Luck to anyone else making the attempt.
  • mrnsllmrnsll Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I sat for 70-682 last week but I didn't pass. My score was about 650 for the 70-680 part and about 600 for the 70-685 part. I used the Ucertify prep kit to prepare for the test but it didn't work at all. The tests were much different for difficulty and range of arguments from the real one. According to Ucertify simulation I was 98% prepared, but the real test was a completely different thing. I think it is necessary studying for both 680 and 685 to attempt this exam...