Options

Lab Setup

ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was looking at learning more about Red Hat and I have Jangs book.

I was going to run Centos on a IBM Think pad laptop then host 2 virtual machines using KVM or virtual box

The question is do you need to learn how to deploy Red Hat for exam purposes i.e Kicjkstart or can I skip this section all together and get a basic lab setup?

How did you guys setup your lab?

Many Thanks
Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "

Comments

• Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For different exams you need different lab set-up.
    My setup for exams EX413, EX436: Dell E6410, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 + VirtualBox + 2-4 virtual machines or CentOS 6.x + KVM + 2-4 virtual machines.
    For EX300, EX318, EX442 I'm using two small HP 7800 Ultra Small Desktop (each with 2core CPU with HT and VT and 4GB of RAM) - you should use physical computer to correctly set up the hypervisor and use virtual machines.
    For EX442 the physical machine is the only reasonable option because this is a tuning exam.
    For EX401 you can use virtual machines, for EX210 you should probably use at least one or two physical hosts for OpenStack and a few virtual machines for other services.
    As iSCSI/NFS/CIFS file server I'm using virtual machine with OpenFiler, for host machines - CentOS 6.x and Windows 2000 Professional.

--
    Regards
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jang has a companion book that also includes three VMs that are supposed to be set up using KVM. The book is the practice exam one, covering EX200 and EX300.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    When I took the exam I setup two CentOS VMs using VirtualBox. I recommend VirtualBox.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ok So here is the plan

Host - Windows 7 box Ivybridge 3.5Ghz 8 Gig Ram ( Running Virtual Box)
    Server1 - Centos running virtually - HTTP / FTP hosting install files (Kickstart) also running KVM hypervisor
    Host 1 - virtual Host running through KVM

The above scenario leaves me with a few questions

If I am running a Centos machine virtually and then run KVM to host virtual machines can I run this through virtual box? virtualization sitting ontop of virtualization is this even possible? isn't something I have tried before.

I wanted to virtualize a second centos host via KVM to test out kickstart and accessing the FTP / HTTP again can this all be done virtually?

VNC SSH? again how would this work can I test it from the Windows Host?

well that's my layout of my intended lab please give me some feedback / criticism and if there is a better way to do it please let me know. I am reluctant to wipe my 7 box as it's my main Rig hence the virtual lab route.
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "