Options

career advise needed

webistanwebistan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been in IT for about five years now holding a degree in Business with MIS foucs and a diploma in Networking. I've worked in tech support, helpdesk and some basic system admin all along. Now I'm considering my options whether to continue to be in IT or switch to business. I am good at both, but I don't have the time and energy to go and do all IT certifications. Without certifications, I've found it tough to advance and get a good pay (or maybe I'm not lucky enough).

I have a feeling IT is more competitive than Business. Do you agree? I believe you can get in IT with doing certifications from anywhere, but not in business, at least not as easily as in IT. More specifically, I may get into accounting systems and use my IT skills there.

What is your thought on switching from IT to business (accounting or finance)? BTW, I am in Canada.
"Don't be consumed by despair."

Comments

• Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    If you don't have time and energy to get some certifications, then IT is not for you. You already have some experience and a degree. Getting certified would only make you more marketable.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    trick000trick000 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My friend who has an MIS degree went the programming route. He works with SQL databases utilizing ASP, C# and other things. He makes good money. If I had to guess, $60-70k.
  • Options
    moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    webistan go the business route IT is competitive did u think about sales engineering ? I might do that after completing my diploma it is business orientated right ?
  • Options
    webistanwebistan Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks folks.

Sales engineering? I've tried applying for sales in IT with no luck, but I believe my resume is too technical, so that scares employers as they might believe I may talk about bugs of products than its features :)
    "Don't be consumed by despair."