CCNP Route OCG

lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Just started reading the CCNP Route OCG, and I must say that this is one of the most boring Cisco books I have ever read.

Reading every page just makes me die a little inside. I spend more time flipping forward to see when the chapter is going to end than reading it. Don't get me wrong, I love routing, and my job, but its Odom's writing style which puts me off big time.

I can't do it, I'm moving on to the FLG. Do you guys think that reading the FLG alone is enough to do well in the exam? Just note that I have INE and CBT nuggets which I plan to go through as well.

Cheers

Comments

• SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    route simplified is your choice.
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hi Lincis_aus,

I second this, found this a bloody awful book! Have you looked at Chris Bryant's material? I have purchased his videos and study guide for Route and so far it is the best material I have found. He explains all the subjects so well and now I understand them compared to OCG and Simplified!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    The OCG doesn't have all the material you need to pass. Go with Route Simplified as others recommended
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    Maybe it's just me, but I thought the OCG was great.
  • lincis_auslincis_aus Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It definitely covers pretty much the whole exam from what I have read in reviews. The thing with Odom is he uses 2 pages to describe and explain something which can be explained in a paragraph.
  • mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have this same issue with any of the Wendell Odom books. I just can't read them. It's like trying to read the dictionary, just plain boring. I did like the writing style of the FLG much more. Simplified was a very good book as well. My only issue with the Simplified book was that it has some typographical errors, but it is much more in depth than any of the 3 books (OCG, FLG, Simplified). I've read thousands and thousands of pages of books, but I have yet to trump one of Wendell Odom's books.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm using OCG & FLG
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • FitziFitzi Member Posts: 40 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also found the OCG very dry and hard to read, it was a bit disappointing really. I liked the FLG and thought it was pretty good and I am currently finishing off by reading the simplified book. My favourite so far is the FLG, but that might just be because I have the ROUTE simplified kindle book on my ipad and I'd much rather have a dead tree in my hands...its much easier to carry around though.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm I the only one that prefers physical books? My eyes hurt more reading of an LCD screen - bright or dark..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I'm with you guys on that one, I really need that physical book in my hands, watching the book.ark move towards the end is a fantastic motivator!