Passed 74-409

citrus_sugarcitrus_sugar Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Decided to take advantage of the free voucher, and passed this morning with an 887! I used the MVAs and my community college is a Microsoft college so I was able to go in and lab at our Microsoft lab and ask my instructors questions if I had any.

From here I haven't decided where I'm going certification wise. I'm doing an internship with the networking team at my college, which is really eye opening as far as the internal operations of a government entity, and while they are very supportive of knowledge, they don't push employees to certification.
Goals for 2014: Summer Internship, Graduate, Net+, Sec+, CCENT

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Do you absolutely need some lab time to pass the exam or the videos on the MVA is enough?
  • citrus_sugarcitrus_sugar Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The MVAs and Powerpoints Microsoft provided would be passable if you take really specific notes, especially of the Powershell commands. For me to memorize I needed to actually type in the commands. I forgot to mention I also read the free review book by Orin Thomas 10 days prior to the exam date. That's what really drove home the knowledge I needed for the exam and definitely recommend it if you're not able to lab.

Free Study Guide for Microsoft Exam 74-409
    Goals for 2014: Summer Internship, Graduate, Net+, Sec+, CCENT
  • SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! Do you absolutely need some lab time to pass the exam or the videos on the MVA is enough?

I agree with the OP -- The Powershell stuff was more than I was expecting... The hard part was because, without going into toooo much details because of the TOS here, but in a very MS kind of way, they would give you many like options for the commands..

I see you took the MCITP in Win7 -- If you remember those tests, they had a lot of drag and droppers with commands... this one is more multiple choice with the commands..

I don't think you need to lab this; I didn't lab it much at all -- I did however obsessively watch the videos on MVA..

and then I went over this thread.. Tons of great information:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2012-general/98533-74-409-helpful-info.html

-scott
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Alright thanks for the feedback guys. I had already download Orin Thomas' book. I'll start reading it shortly as my exam is scheduled on the 30th. I might reschedule it though as I'm already a bit busy with the ICM class at Stanly. I'll see how it goes.