Passed This Morning - Insights and Lessons Learned

sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All:

I passed this morning with a 775, took about 22 minutes on the test portion. Some of what I have heard about this test is true, and some was not (for me anyway). It is a WIDE test that covers a LOT of material. However, the only thing I found that it covers IN-DEPTH is cryptography/encryption. I studied off and on (more off than on) for about 3 months until last week when I scheduled my exam, then I crammed for about 3+ hours a day. I studied cryptography right side up and upside down but STILL had about 5 questions on the subject that I was unsure of the correct answer. I really think they hit cryptography more than the 15% they claim, but that could be because it crosses domains into General Security Concepts, email and web security, etc.

I did not find any poorly worded questions as many have claimed. Nor did I find any that realistically could have had more than one correct answer. I went fast because it seemed straight forward and I either knew it or didn't know it. I marked about 12 questions for review, but only changed 1 answer at the end.

Primary Study materials used:
    Dummies Sec+ Book (light reading, but has errors, especially on the CD) Exam Cram Sec+ Book (fair, good chapter questions) Sec+ CBT Nugget (okay for variety, but not enough meat) TechExams.net Tech Notes and Practice Tests (Printable version great for going over with highlighter while enjoying a latte at the book store)
All things are possible, only believe.

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Congrats!
    Sounds like your test experience was a bit different than my own.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm have mine scheduled for next month. I'm spending the majority of my time on cryptography as well..takes awhile for it all to sink in since there are some many methodologies on it
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks gentlemen!
    Good luck gojericho0!
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    775? Dang! That kills my theory that each question is worth 8 points.

The reason why it may seem that more than 15% was on cryptography is because cryptography is used in other areas covered on the test. For example, IPSec, S/Mime, PGP and SSL to name a few.
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass sprkymrk! Thanks for the review and good luck on your next one. icon_cool.gif
    Danman32 wrote:
    Maybe not... I did get ONE question that was "Choose all that apply". I had heard they didn't have those kind of questions, but lo & behold, I got one. Perhaps partial credit?
    TeKniques wrote:
    Congrats on the pass sprkymrk! Thanks for the review and good luck on your next one. icon_cool.gif
    Thanks TeKniques, you too!
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    congrats
    get back to studying!!!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    sprkymrk wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:
    Maybe not... I did get ONE question that was "Choose all that apply". I had heard they didn't have those kind of questions, but lo & behold, I got one. Perhaps partial credit?

Hmmmm... Now that you mention that, I'm not sure I had any where I had to choose more than one....