Taking Security+ this weekend

markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
I'm pretty nervous. I did labsim at Testout and passed everything, went through Darril's blog, and now looking at Professor Messer's videos. I'm not sure if it's enough. I work at a helpdesk, but it's all end-user stuff so I don't have really any networking/security experience. I feel I've got an overall good grasp of the material, but I'm a very practical learner. Meaning, if I don't use it or have never gotten my hands on it, I don't always feel like I really understand everything. I learned enough to pass the practice test from Testout with a 90/100, but again not sure if that's enough. Any hints? Did anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• HeliGuyHeliGuy Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It's common for people (myself included) to feel that way. Most of the time this is due to test-anxiety. Try your best to get plenty of rest the night before the exam, eat a good breakfast the day of the exam. When you sit the exam close your eyes, take a deep breath, say to yourself "I've got this," read each question 2-3 time carefully, and enjoy the smile you'll have when you pass.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    You'll do fine, just memorize your ports! - it's almost guaranteed that one sim will be ports and a few questions will be about ports....
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have got the basic ports down. If they start asking me about off the wall port numbers like 1581 or something, that will be just a crapshoot.

Is the practice test at Testout pretty comparable to the real thing?
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I am taking my exam this Friday. Good Luck!
    Just passed with a 825. Study your protocols and threats 6 sims on mine. Good luck!
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Markulous, you seem like you are quite ready and have a grasp on the material. I believe you will do fine icon_thumright.gif
    100k wrote: »
    Just passed with a 825. Study your protocols and threats 6 sims on mine. Good luck!
    Congratulations, that is an impressive score. I hope to be certified like you this Thursday.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    From what you posted, it seems like you are good to go for the exam. I can relate to this, I am taking the Networking MTA 98-366 on Wednesday and I feel as if I am ready (scoring 95% on MeasureUp) but I am not sure if any of the questions on MeasureUp can be corrolated to the real exam.

You should be able to pass though. Just remain calm and skim through your notes one final time would be a good idea.

Hope you pass buddy! Will also update TE with my results after I take my exam.

Cheers! :)
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    100k wrote: »

Great job! Thanks for the heads up :) I'm taking mine next Sunday and hope to add one more to the list. icon_study.gif

To OP: Best of luck on the exam! I hope to see you update this thread with your new security+ certified status!
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
    I passed. 774, so just by the skin of my teeth. I would have liked to get a better score but a pass is a pass I suppose.
    Congratulations on the passicon_thumright.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pass is a pass! Congrats! I need to find myself these magical testing centers that are open on the weekends.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Pass is a pass! Congrats! I need to find myself these magical testing centers that are open on the weekends.

I agree with you on that. All testing centers that are within 40 miles are only Monday - Friday icon_shaking.gif
    jvrlopez wrote: »

When I scheduled it, there were quite a few that were open on weekends. I figured it was pretty standard.
    Congrats on the pass! What did you find the most challenging about the exam?

A winner is you
    jaywalker wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass! What did you find the most challenging about the exam?

Probably a couple of the performance-based questions. I'm curious how I did on those because some of them were a bit confusing.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im also planning to take in a month or less
    I read Darril Gibson and Exam Cram... I've been reading all the advices in this forum! So wish me some luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Im also planning to take in a month or less
    I read Darril Gibson and Exam Cram... I've been reading all the advices in this forum! So wish me some luck!

I'm taking mine this Sunday and using Darril's book with Prof Messer, CBT Nuggets and study guides found on here. Obviously I don't want to fail ;) Good luck!

A winner is you
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck!!!
    jaywalker wrote: »
    I'm taking mine this Sunday and using Darril's book with Prof Messer, CBT Nuggets and study guides found on here. Obviously I don't want to fail ;) Good luck!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!