Recommended Penetration Testing book

kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I will be making Pen testing my next career goal. I eventually will also go for my OSCP. Can any recommend a good beginner book on Pen testing?
WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
Courses:
Done!!!

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I highly recommend Patrick Engebretson's The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing, Second Edition: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy. It provides a great, albeit short, introduction to the industry.

I bought the first edition in 2012 and it was one of my motivators to get into Pen-Testing and Ethical Hacking.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I highly recommend Patrick Engebretson's The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing, Second Edition: Ethical Hacking and Penetration Testing Made Easy. It provides a great, albeit short, introduction to the industry.

I bought the first edition in 2012 and it was one of my motivators to get into Pen-Testing and Ethical Hacking.

Seconded! I bought that and read most of it as a pre-CEH primer. I enjoyed it, and I will go back and finish it after I finish the CEH.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • xaxxax Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I've bought BackTrack 4: Assuring Security by Penetration Testing. It's not arrived yet but seems to be a good reference about tools. I hope to find some useful use cases.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Recommended
    Advanced Penetration Testing: The Ultimate Security Guide
    Web Application Hacker Handbook
    The Art of Explotation: Basics of Hacking

Your Own Free Time
    Violent Python
    Shellcoder Handbook
    Hackers Playbook

Looks good but haven't tried
    Penetration Testing on Kali Linux
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    This book is new, just out a week or two ago.

Penetration Testing | No Starch Press
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I picked up a copy of Advanced Penetration Testing: The Ultimate Security Guide. It came highly recommended by my colleagues and you all.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just forgot to mention, metasploit: the penetration tester guides written by OSCPs