CPTE or CEH ?

Khalid-AwadhKhalid-Awadh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Tell me please your opinions about Mile2 CPTE & CEH v8 ?

Which one do you recommend me to take & why ?

Comments

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What is your location and what are your goals? That needs to be answered, as well as your experience level.

Mile2 courses are perhaps better than the CEH program, but in terms of ROI, the CEH exam and certification will do more for you than the CPTE.
  • Khalid-AwadhKhalid-Awadh Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    What is your location and what are your goals? That needs to be answered, as well as your experience level.

Mile2 courses are perhaps better than the CEH program, but in terms of ROI, the CEH exam and certification will do more for you than the CPTE.

I am from Oman
    no experience and my goal short term goal is to get good job. But my long term goal is to become professional hacker
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well in the US you will need more than just certifications to get hired. You should get your certifications, but you first should be focused on getting a good position in IT and working your way into security.
  • TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    This is the latest for CPTE - the course was updated in 2015 and revised by James Michael Stewart, an international author with over 75 books, and is by far the most cutting edge Penetration Testing & Ethical Hacking course in the market today.

James Michael Stewart, Security+, CISSP, CEH, CHFI, is a security expert, full-time writer, trainer, and researcher for Impact Online, an independent courseware development company. He has authored and contributed to over 75 books, including previous editions of the CompTIA Security+ Review Guide, and the CISSP Study Guide, both by Sybex. Stewart provides IT instruction across the globe for various public and private organizations.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    TK1799_st wrote: »
    by far the most cutting edge Penetration Testing & Ethical Hacking course in the market today.

CPTE and CPEH is a multiple choice exam just like CEH. These are not cutting edge as opposed to OSCP or eLearnsecurity exams where your exam is an actual live pentest.

Mile2®'s C)PTE certification exam is comprised of 100 Questions derived from a larger pool of questions. This exam also covers the CEH(R) exam objectives.

The C)PEH exam will take 2 hours and consist of 100 multiple choice questions. A 70% on the exam is required to earn the certification.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not to mention he dug up a year and a half old thread to say that stuff. Obvious Mile2 employee is too obvious.
    chrisone wrote: »
    CPTE and CPEH is a multiple choice exam just like CEH. These are not cutting edge as opposed to OSCP or eLearnsecurity exams where your exam is an actual live pentest.

Mile2®'s C)PTE certification exam is comprised of 100 Questions derived from a larger pool of questions. This exam also covers the CEH(R) exam objectives.

The C)PEH exam will take 2 hours and consist of 100 multiple choice questions. A 70% on the exam is required to earn the certification.

True - but there is also a Lab Report that must be turned in, much like OSCP.
    Not to mention he dug up a year and a half old thread to say that stuff. Obvious Mile2 employee is too obvious.

Nope - just updating this tread so when people do their research - they have something to go by....national intelligence does this all the time....it's called re-validation...it's a professional thing that is done in the real world...
  • IronmanXIronmanX Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□

He's not a Mile2 employee just a CEH flunkie that is determined that posting miss information will influence the info sec community.

"Understand that I belong to different hacking forums and discussions - plus my official duties within XXX. The actual reputation of EEC is on line at this point. Interestingly enough, a new development is also taking to replace the XXX 8750 List to the new 8140. If this situation is not resolved correctly, ECC may not find itself on that list and if so, may have serious competition from Offensive Security who uses Kail Linux and preps testers for such live hacking as that is the actual exam for certification. Added to this, all serious hacking attacks use said OS with included tool set and is becoming the "go-to" certification. Although I cannot speak officially for XXX and those highers that will or will not put CEH on the future list, but what I can do is inform and influence the cyber development environment that allows a clear and concise choice for those of us that need certifications in hacking that there are alternatives. "

Too bad s/he is not more constructive and was able to take a tiny bit of responsibility for his/her failure. He/She is very well written but comes off as "whiny" with a vendetta against a ECC due to his/her failure.

If you actually read 8140 (http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/814001_2015_dodd.pdf) what s/he says is not even remotely true.

DoD 8570 Gives Way to DoD 8140, Specifies Security Certs for Government Workers | Pearson IT Certification
    "Relevant certifications include the CISA, CISSP, CEH, various computer forensics credentials, and more. As this directive unfolds and becomes better understood, expect these already-popular certs to get "kicked up a notch" -- or two, or three -- as they become a form of credentialing that's necessary for DoD workers and contractors to do their jobs. Then look for a few more notches after the rest of the Feds, plus state and municipal governments and law enforcement agencies pick up and run with the same framework and requirements as they invariably do."

Being Canadian I don't care about 8140 or anything else DoD.
    I just find the belligerent passing along of, well written, miss information to be a huge dis service to people trying to better them selves through education.

To summarize what i've seen:
    S/He fails CEH. Tells ECC that if they don't just pass him so he can progress his DoD career he will slander them on multiple "hacker" forums and from with in the DoD.

ECC offers him/her a discount to retake with in so many days. Not the automatic pass s/he was looking for so he acts on his threat of bashing ECC.

S/He says CEH is garbage OSCP is awesome. The DoD is going to go to using the non ANSI certified OSCP to replace CEH.

S/He starts OSCP 4 months ago.

S/He starts posting that Mile2 is great and will replace CEH. S/He passes the Mile2 CEH exam a couple of weeks later.

Maybe Mile2 is great, but i'm not going to believe what this poster says after the history i've seen from said forum member.

Bringing back zombie threads is just super bad forum etiquette. Even worse when its obviously just done to further a vendetta.
    I'm all for hearing how good Mile2 is and the package they sent you and what you liked about them etc....
    Mile 2 is great - the material is direct and to the point. It's excellent training. I also like the fact they have integrity and would never ambush someone making them lose $500 on information they didn't study - because they were unaware of the announced update.

You can call me whatever - I don't like to be ambushed. No one does and what ECC did was wrong and unprofessional. Vendetta or showing people that I'm not the type to lay down and take it. Yeah - I failed, but I got close to passing due to my CompTIA Security+ training and background which I'm glad I went with those guys as well. CompTIA notifies the entire world when it's about to do an upgrade and provides a grace period. Perhaps I fell into that hoe like everyone else and thought CEH was going to take me somewhere great. It didn't. I don't want others to find themselves in the same hole. Call it a vandetta or whining -- I call it self-assured protection and passing that knowledge over to others, ECC made their executive decision to do what they did - I'm making mine. It's amazing that I continue to pass certifications - like everyone else after they study the correct material. Like to see you do the same professor. Sit down and take an exam with information that your not prepared to be tested on and see if you walk out like a flunkie....considering I wasn't the only one who failed the updated version....I'm not a whimp who gets smacked by a bully and walks away - I get even!
  • ChaseBenfieldChaseBenfield Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    TK1799_st,

I have to disagree with your EC-Council experience.

They updated the exam version, but if you knew the information for v8 you wouldn't have a problem passing. I had no problem passing and I used the EC-Council V8 materials to study. I was nowhere near failing. EC-Council provided v8 participants with materials that allows them to pass the v9 exam plain and simple.

I think it is a good thing when people fail an exam. It shows the certification has value. I would never waste my time preparing for an exam that didn't challenge me unless my employer required it. I think EC-Council did a good thing because there are too many people out there skating by off brain **** making the rest of us look bad. People complained because rather than studying to improve their skill set and challenge themselves on an interesting subject they tried to skate by and grab a piece of paper. These people don't deserve recognition for something they didn't earn and it's a good thing they failed.

Also I would like to add I received an offer for a penetration testing consulting position that I wouldn't have received if I didn't have my CEH. The CEH got me the interview. If I didn't know the information I wouldn't have received the offer. People joke about CEH because certain people can't back it up. If you didn't learn it you shouldn't earn it.
  • chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In the long run CEH, ECSA, and LPT from eccouncil are far more greater and respected than if you had every single cert from mile2.

ESCA and LPT are pentesting exams. Because I have been into elearn security and OSCP , I was blinded and had no idea eccouncil provided pentesting certifications based off live pentesting exams.

The ECSAv9 exam includes 2 required stages.

Report writing stage requires candidates to perform various penetration testing exercises on EC-Council’s iLabs before submitting a penetration test report to EC-Council for assessment. Candidates that submit reports to the required standards will be provided with exam vouchers for the multiple choice exam.

Multiple choice exams are proctored online through the EC-Council Exam portal :

• Credit Towards Certification: ECSA v9
    • Number of Questions: 150
    • Test Duration: 4 hours

LPT:

• Candidates are given 5 days (calculated from the activation of their iLabs activation code) to complete the required blackbox penetration test of EC-Council’s cyber range. The iLabs access code will be released once the Aspen LPT (Master) Dashboard is activated.
    • Candidates are given 30 days (calculated from the activation of their Aspen LPT (Master) Dashboard) to submit their completed penetration test report through their ASPEN account..
    • Candidates will receive their exam results through official email notifications from EC-Council (lpt@eccouncil.org) within 14 days from the submission of the penetration testing report .

If I would have known, I probably wouldn't have spent so much money on elearnsecurity. Then followed up with OSCP certification.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
    "far more greater and respected" --- that's starting to change....and that has nothing to do with me or anyone espousing our experience dealing with them....like I've said, I've now been through both - I've already submitted my reporting to highers -- as the villge monk would say, "We'll see."