Options

B.S. Cyber Security degrees

BuckeyenutBuckeyenut Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,
If one was to get a B.S. in Cyber Security what would the employment outlook be like? Oh and I have a A.A.S in Computer Networking with around two and half yrs exp. So I guess I should also post the alternative degree as Information Technology with no concentration. If anyone is a recent graduate of Bellevue University online from one of these two degree path; I would love to here you thoughts on the programs. Sorry to all that read this and think it is a repetitive question as I have been searching and not finding out these answers I have been looking for. Thank you for your time and appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Degrees are no guarantee of employment or of pay. At this point you need to keep looking towards a traditional IT job, you wont really be looking at any kind of security position until you have somewhere around 5 years experience unless you can leverage something you are doing outside of work, extensive lab work, malware analysis, getting noticed on linkedin. If not, you'll want to get into IT, then networking, network security, then network defense or IA. From there you can go into forensics, defense or offense.
  • Options
    CyantistCyantist Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    There are unfortunately a lot of them.

Before I became an apprentice I was looking at a degree related to ethical hacking and network security, which needless to say didn't get you qualified in the ethical hacking certification, which seems a little odd to say the least. I don't want to pass judgment, but a degree in Ethical Hacking that IIRC only certified you with the CCNA and the degree doesn't seem great to me.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The degree in Cybersecurity will more often then not will no equal a job in security. You have experience and I suspect will continue to get it so you could probably land a position. My suggestion would be to do the general IT degree and a concentration in security.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I would not recommend for a Bachelor degree in Cyber Security at all. You need to stick with Bachelor of Science in Computer Science or Information Technology. Using the Cyber Security as a minor within Computer Science or Information Technology. It is easy to maneuver in the IT field, except when you are going for Doctorate you have to narrow down to specific. You can always work on information security certifications to close the gap of area specific.
    - CompTIA Security+
    - CompTIA CASP (CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner)
    - CISSP (Certified Information System Security Professional)
    - CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
    - CISA (Certified Information System Auditor)
    - CISM (Certified Information Security Management)
    and etc....

Some employers treat CISSP as a Master degree equivalence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    BuckeyenutBuckeyenut Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone for the feedback it is greatly appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with Bellevue University is the next question and when I say that I mean in the Information Technology program? Again Thanks for the feedback!