Options

At what point do you decide to stay?

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
I just want to see people's general thoughts on this.

At what point do you decide you aren't going to hop anymore and just stay at a company and ride it out for a long time?

Comments

• Options
    shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Tough call and it always depends on your life situation as well as your long term goals. In my current position I have held for the last eleven years I enjoyed the work, commute, job security and valued the pension. The pay was not the best in the world, but after several years and raises I believe it is fair now. The organization has always been very supportive of my personal goals from day one and have treated me extremely well. I say if you are happy with a place and it continues to be challenging with fair pay...why leave? You also have to ask yourself is the current gig in line with your career aspirations.
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a few engagements where I thought - this is it, I got enough jumping, I will just make it work .. then three months later I left a permanent position because I couldn't stand the management.

I wouldn't say I won't leave a company again, even though I am getting too old for this nonsense, what I don't do ever again, which I had to learn over the last few years, is moving sideways.

I have moved jobs for one reason or another, just to end up in the same kinda role, hating the same kinda problems and leaving for the same kinda reasons.

Now I will sit around here until it is actually a step up. Not just £$£, but career wise too.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally will stop jumping once I find an organization I like, that allows me to continue learning, and pays a fair wage. So chances are I will never stop. I've been at my current job 8 months, and am getting close to quitting without having another job lined up because it is so awful.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no answer to this question.
    If you enjoy your job you may stay longer or even retire there. But everything changes including yourself.

If you job hop hopefully you have some purpose. If job hopping no longer serves that purpose you might decide not to do it any longer.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    My case my next hop isn't to find a higher pay. I am actually very happy with what I make now but the company I am at now I can't see myself at for years and years. Heck honestly after my next little one is here I probably will start looking.

So the next hop really is to find the place I can call permanent home and honestly would like to ride it out until retirement (unless the company is going under or something).
  • Options
    RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When a company learns to keep it's promises...have not found that yet.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I actually love the company I work for, been here almost 7 years. 1st company I worked for after I graduated with my bachelors and they pay me more than fairly, but I really want to make 6 figures (or pretty damn close). So I'll probably see what Texas or the Atlanta area has to offer after I finish these GIAC's and a CISSP sometime next year. For some reason, I've always wanted to work Infosec for a big gov't contractor like Lockheed or Raytheon, or even a gov't gig.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'm at a company, working for managers, and in a job that I could stay at for a LONG time and keep moving up as the possibilties here are endless. I'm in a really great spot. But in my current role I'm bored. I've mastered and laid waste to everything they've given me and the job duties I've taken on....in 3 months being here. My manager knew there was a chance at that happening with bringing me on when they changed the job from a VP role to AVP role and adjusted the job duties to match. He's given me just about everything on his plate and I'm doing pretty much his job, just letting him do the communicating with the execs, but it's not enough. Now I'm taking advantage of it by knocking out cert after cert being able to study most of the day, but I've found myself answering the calls I've gotten from recruiters (still getting 6-8 hits a week). I'm not complaining about it per se, because I make a lot of money to sit here and chill, but I'm not the kind to just sit and collect a check.

I've been submitted for a state job that is a 4 year project, handling network security and upgrades, vulnerability assessment and pentesting, OS upgrades, security software upgrades, and bringing all of the systems up to meet FISMA standards, as well as other security stuff. It's for one of the largest state departments. It would also be a huge raise, but I'm more interested in the sheer impact that the experience would add to my resume. Combine the experience there with obtaining high end technical security certs and that would be resume gold.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework