Job Possibilities with Net+ and minimal IT experience

10jwood10jwood Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi everyone! I have read so many of the posts here and have found it very helpful for my career planning. I'm currently in a transition phase where I have found IT as a more lucrative alternative to my prior Engineering plans. I have two years of post-High School under my belt with minimal IT experience. But I believe it is worth my switch into IT. My end goal is a role in Network Security. I plan on enrolling to WGU this August under IT-Security and get a Master's in InfoSec down the road.

The reason for this post is I'm hopeful for feedback on more specific job possibilities with my background to pursue my end. I should mention that after 2 months of studying I'm testing for the Network+ this Friday. I have experience in the following:

1.5 years of customer service at domino's after graduating high school.

5 months of Help Desk as a Tech Support Rep 1 where I worked for an ISP in which I troubleshooted internet connection, WiFi settings, IPTV, DVRs, etc.

I quit Help Desk when I was able to get more hands on experience with an 5 month unpaid internship which I finished this month. I was able to get experience in installing devices without configuration (routers, patch panel, copper cabling, switches, server, personal PCs, etc), retail wide migration of XP POS systems to Win 7 with a HDD I imaged. Other miscellaneous things: IP static configuration, troubleshooting POS peripherals, site surveys for network installs.

I've considered NOC but unfortunately Raleigh (current location) doesn't seem to be hiring without more specific Network experience in Help Desk. I have about one month left of savings before I need to start looking for a job. Should I grab a CCENT before I start applying or would a Network+ be enough with my experience in the area I would like to focus on? What jobs should I be applying for?

Thanks in advanced!

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am sorry I don't have any specific advice for you about what path to take. However I want to point out that with a month to go you need to start applying now. Regardless of what position you decide to take.

Start looking at the job boards. Apply for anything close to what your looking for. Get some interviewing experience and once you land a job make the best of it.

Good Luck!
  • GuyFromITGuyFromIT Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in Raleigh as well! There are tons of jobs here for you since we live in the RTP. Get your Network+ first and then get in contact with me, I might have something for you. :)
  • 10jwood10jwood Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I most definitely will. I have postponed my exam until this week-I bought a few practice exams I wanted to cover through first. I will let you know as soon as I take it!
  • jobes23jobes23 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck with your exam. Let us know how you do!
    Course Taking: Start 9/1
    Courses Done: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, C172, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses Left: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, TJC1, TJP1, C175, C170, TYP1, TYC1, CJC1, C191, C178, C176, CLC1, C179, EDV1, BNC1, C195, UBC1, C278, EAV1, EBV1
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    The Network+ in a nutshell tells employers you have a bit more than basic understanding of networking. A Network+ Certification (Depending on your experience) can get you a Tier 2 or 3 position as a IT Tech or Helpdesk Support. I would first get network plus certified and build up your experience. Than I would lean more towards CCNA which get a bit deeper into networking.
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    10jwood wrote: »
    I've considered NOC but unfortunately Raleigh (current location) doesn't seem to be hiring without more specific Network experience in Help Desk.

Don't let the requirements in a job description scare you away from applying. Most of them are overkill and people typically get hired with only meeting a few of the posted requirements.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    Raisin wrote: »
    Don't let the requirements in a job description scare you away from applying. Most of them are overkill and people typically get hired with only meeting a few of the posted requirements.
    I totally agree, I would say 60% of the description is overkill..........
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
    I take the exam in two hours. I'm a little nervous but confident. My study plan was read exam cram, watch and note professor messer, and take lots and lots and lots of practice exams. I also took notes on the exams. I'm currently going through Professor Messer's study guide and the Network+ Cram Sheet. I'll let you all know how I do in about 4 hours!
    I passed Network+ today! Woot woot!
    Hey sorry for the delay. Is that possible availability still an open option? I was wondering what the job would entail.