Options

Cisco IOS XRV Help

snaptjawsnaptjaw Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, can anyone share the setting on Vmware. Because my XRv ping is not working (currently i'm using vbox). Thanks

Comments

• Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cisco IOS XRv Step by Step Install and GNS3 integration * N0 SHUTD0WN

I found this to be helpful, I'm running it as well on esxi

also the interface mappings you will have to work out, you may add 4 nics but they don't all fall into normal order on the vm.
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    keenon wrote: »
    Cisco IOS XRv Step by Step Install and GNS3 integration * N0 SHUTD0WN

I found this to be helpful, I'm running it as well on esxi

also the interface mappings you will have to work out, you may add 4 nics but they don't all fall into normal order on the vm.

thank you keenon :)
  • Options
    does anybody know about how to configure cisco ios xrv on vmware workstation and connect it to gns3 using cloud

pls help
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    snaptjaw wrote: »
    does anybody know about how to configure cisco ios xrv on vmware workstation and connect it to gns3 using cloud

pls help

After having spent all day on this I've come to the conclusion that it's probably not possible to integrate XRv with GNS3 flawlessly. I've managed to send an occasional ping using the Virtualbox integration feature (vboxwrapper), but it's like it doesn't stick. Changing nothing and just reloading randomly makes it not work anymore. I've had zero success with Workstation and the GNS3 cloud feature using vmnet network adapters.

What does work however is keeping everything inside Workstation's own vswitches. There are some tricky aspects to it though that I'll edit into this post tomorrow because I'm just too tired.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I ended up writing a blog post on it: How To: XRv On VMware Workstation | Fredrik's Networking Blog

Hopefully that should answer most questions on how to get it working without esxi or kvm. Will proof read at some other time.
  • Options
    priximanpriximan Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    snaptjaw wrote: »

pls help

Hi snaptjaw,

you're probably not longer looking for a solution for this problem but it case someone runs into this issue, like me.

You can easily interconnect VirtualBox with GNS3 via cloud. Just set on interface (not the first) in VB to "VirtualBox host-only adapter" and in GNS3 create a cloud and under Ethernet->Generic Ethernet NIO select also "VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter" and click Add. Now you just need to place a simple switch between the cloud and a router, configure an IP Address from the 192.168.56.x/24 range on IOS-XR and the router and that should work, both should be able to ping each other.

I've managed to set up following setup:
    Router(GNS3) <-> HostOnlyAdapter <->IOS-XR(VB) <-> VB Internal <->IOS-XR(VB) <-> LocalConnection <-> Router(GNS3)

And all this trouble because GNS3 currently supports only one active VirtualBox.

Cheers!