Options

Recommend me a path :D

Dunkers404Dunkers404 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've recently finished school, (I've done a few technical courses in school.. Nothing past the A+) and I'm progressing onto University this September to study Computer Networks and Security (My ambition is to work within the Networking/Security Industry). I don't have intentions on knocking off my A+ since I can't seem to find a reason to pursue that until absolute necessary (within a year or twos time)

(I asked one of my teachers, that taught me for a technical subject and he recommended that I should spend my time during the summer getting my Network+, Security+, And then during the first year of my university course to consider pursuing CCNA R&S and the CCNA Security and then if I get the time to consider quickly knocking off the A+)

What recommendations would you guys have for certifications that I should get whilst still in education (if possible could they be listed in order of importance)

Thanks
-Dunkers404 icon_study.gif

Comments

• Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's a lot to consider when thinking about something like this. If it were me, I'd skip both the N+ and A+ exams. The knowledge is great to have, but I wouldn't put money towards the certifications. Although, both of them would be quicker to get than a CCNA, and both would possibly be enough to get you in to an entry-level job in the industry. From my experience and observations getting your foot in the door is the hardest part, so maybe you would be better off going for the N+ and A+. Especially is you can afford it without any problems.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    I have always viewed security somewhat as an extension of what you are securing. It's hard to do network security if you don't have a strong understanding of the network that you want to secure. I would start off with the networking, and the CCNA would probably be best for you. And skip all those worthless CompTia certs. They mean next to nothing.
  • Options
    shauncarter1shauncarter1 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like what your instructor recommended. More important perhaps even than the certification is that you gain the ground level knowledge from these two certifications. I don't see any reason why you cannot get both certifications in a two month period during the summer. It will take some discipline, but you are going to need that to forge a long career in IT. I also recommend spending the extra time to prep for certifications while you are already consumed with the topics in your coursework. For the most part a lot of colleges actually use the certification textbook as the course text. It makes sense to go the extra mile and spend the extra hour and a half a day prepping for the cert. If you do the hour and a half everyday for a month do the math on how much study time you accumulate.
    B.S. - Business Administration - 2004
    M.S. - Management Information Systems - 2007
    Doctor of Management specializing in Information Systems - 2017
    Cloud+ - In Progress
    Network Engineer and Online Adjunct Faculty ~ Phoenix, DeVry, StrayerU