Certification Advice...

BaroneBarone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I've been lurking the last few weeks reading the forums. Most people here seem pretty knowledgeable and solid :)

I'm looking for some advice on where to sort of go with my IT career and what certifications I should be looking at getting.

- Completed a Diploma in Network Engineering.
- Completed ITIL v3 Foundation Certificate.

I've completed a few learning pathways on Customer Service; Business Professional and Personal Effectiveness; in a nutshell this vastly helped improve my IT soft skills. My main experience is in a Service Desk and Desktop Support role, which some exposure to Network/Systems Administration at a Tier 2/3 level. I've got good customer service skills and a reasonable ability to troubleshoot. I've been working in the IT industry for around 15 years now. I'm quite the generalist and currently employed.

My old work environment had really bad management, our whole department was outsourced as a cost saving measure as a result. If that gives you any indication on what it was like, the above statement should.

I'd seriously like to get more involved in Network Administration/Engineering; I'm not quite sure where to go.

A long term goal is to transition into Business Management.

I'm currently revising my knowledge.

- Powershell.
- Active Directory.

I'll probably complete the Windows Server 2008 section on AD but not bother with the certification since it expires officially this year. After that I'll look seriously into focusing on a particular area.

- Cisco
- MCSA 2012 and either Exchange or Sharepoint.

Thoughts are welcome.

Comments

• QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't hurt to learn Powershell, especially if you plan to stay in the Windows side of the house. But if networking is where you want to go in the short term, then you'd be better served by Net+/Cisco knowledge.
    Barone wrote: »
    I'll probably complete the Windows Server 2008 section on AD but not bother with the certification since it expires officially this year
    I don't think that's correct, there hasn't been a retirement announced.
  • MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MCTS can still be earned for 2008 Active Directory. Even when the MCTS retires, you can still take the 2008 Active Directory course and get credit toward MCSA 2008.
  • BaroneBarone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Qord wrote: »
    Can't hurt to learn Powershell, especially if you plan to stay in the Windows side of the house. But if networking is where you want to go in the short term, then you'd be better served by Net+/Cisco knowledge.

I don't think that's correct, there hasn't been a retirement announced.

Apparently I'm completely mistaken, I was thinking of something else. Thanks for the reply.