What material should you view for preparing for the CompTIA A+?

riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Im thinking of going for the CompTIA A+ but Im not much of a reader (hate it as a matter of fact, unless its instructions or something) plus I don't have much free time to read. What material do you recommend I should get to pass the CompTIA A+ exam?

Thank you

Comments

• den1966den1966 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You will have read A book, Meyer's is the standout, along with Messer on youtube...that's how i passed mine
  • riahc3riahc3 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    den1966 wrote: »
    You will have read A book, Meyer's is the standout, along with Messer on youtube...that's how i passed mine
    Im surprised that there is no answer of someone that didn't read a book and pass the test icon_sad.gif I just do not like books.

Also, like I mentioned, my working hours don't give me any room to actually read.

Thank you anyways.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can watch the videos at Professormesser.com, which are free. That plus a book should help you out.
    Bokeh wrote: »
    You can watch the videos at Professormesser.com, which are free. That plus a book should help you out.
    I am great with videos but I simply cannot do a book!

For example, I tried Meyer's but I got to 700-800 pages before I just said **** it. Some people enjoy or at least withstand reading. I, for how much I try, simply cannot.

There are things we can do in life and others we cannot :)
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • RyanCorbettRyanCorbett Member Posts: 54 ■■■□□□□□□□
    riah3, i hate to be a downer, but you're going to find that you are going to be doing a LOT of reading in this industry if you want skills that are viable...experience is a BIG plus, as well, but most entry-level IT positions won't look at your resume twice without some type of certification, most of which are gained through studying hard text....if you can't/won't read, then perhaps this line of work is not for you.....

“The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense.”
    Thomas Edison
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    riah3, i hate to be a downer, but you're going to find that you are going to be doing a LOT of reading in this industry if you want skills that are viable...experience is a BIG plus, as well, but most entry-level IT positions won't look at your resume twice without some type of certification, most of which are gained through studying hard text....if you can't/won't read, then perhaps this line of work is not for you.....

I highly agree. It is impossible to pass anything with videos alone. Even more so if you want to make money with higher level certifications.

You will need to read books and digest the material presented.
    If you suck at reading, thats your loss. Look at the bright side though;
    1. If you start making reading a habit now, your reading skills and comprehension will only get better.
    2. Watching a video before the coresponding chapter will make everything you read understandable in one go as opposed to reading paragraphs over and over again.

Good luck and do understand that reading is crucial in any field besides those such as manual labor/fast food.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    1. If you start making reading a habit now, your reading skills and comprehension will only get better.
    I think you are mistaken as you believe I am someone who is young and that is not the case.

Ive tried to read books (non cert and cert related, like I mentioned). I just cannot get into them and do not dig them. I can read a 1000000000000000 page instruction manual we ease. I can read the owner's manual of my car. I just cannot get a book and read it.

We all have our good things and bad things. Its a shame I wont ever be able to get certified because I do not like to read.