omg! I missed an interview!

egrizzlyegrizzly Member Posts: 533 ■■■■■□□□□□
Ok, an interview was presented to me on a Friday at 4:30pm. I totally missed it. This was for a Network Administrator position for a bank with 10 branches in Texas. What do y'all think about these? Is a "no show" a deal breaker?
B.Sc (Info. Systems), CISSP, CCNA, CCNP, Security+

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, not really a deal breaker if you have a legit excuse. I personally would never hold that against someone. Did you already call and explain right away? What was the reason - were you not able to get away from current job or something similar?

But if you still haven't called - well - that's probably not going to be too good and you probably are off the list.
  • LenniusceLenniusce Member Posts: 114 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it a deal-breaker? Yes

Should you still try to reschedule an interview because you have nothing to lose? Yes
    In Progress: CCNA:DEVNET or CISSP Done: PMP | A+ | N+ | S+ | L+ | P+ | MCSA 2016 | CCNA | CCNA:S(exp) | LPIC1(exp) | MBA IT Management | MS Information Systems
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Most likely a deal breaker. Did you just forget about it?
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Umm, if I was the employer and unless you were stuck in Grand Canyon with no cellphone, I wouldn't accept the excuse. But I wonder why you didn't email/text/tweet/call etc etc...

Watching world cup could be used if they like soccer :)
    Interestingly, OP and I joined TE around the same time 8 years ago! Hello my old friend :)
  • linuxloverlinuxlover Banned Posts: 228
    How do you miss an interview? icon_eek.gif
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    linuxlover wrote: »
    How do you miss an interview? icon_eek.gif

I was thinking the same thing, it must have been a really good piece!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it's a deal breaker to be honest.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Couldn't have needed that job if you could afford to just miss an interview.

May not be a deal breaker but it certainly does not help your chances of getting a role!
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've cancelled and even declined interviews before and it hasn't been a deal breaker when I came back to see if the position was still open even a month after the fact. I didn't just flat out miss the interview though with no communication with the employer. I politely declined.

My guess is that if it was for a high end position that's very difficult for the company to fill due to lack of qualified people then it may not be a deal breaker so long as you get back to them in a reasonable time with an excuse. If it's a job where you're competing with many equally qualified candidates then you may have blown it.

I do have to ask, did you try to reach out to the employer once you found out that you missed the interview or did you just come straight to techexams.net and not consider calling them at all?(None of the advice we can give you trumps common sense.)

Communication goes a long way and a lot of employers will understand if you had a date or time wrong on your calendar but if you weren't considerate enough to give them a call then you might as well kiss the job goodbye.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Declining and cancelling is far different than forgetting AKA no call no show. It's the equivolent of canceling a date or letting the girl or guy know you won't be going out that night. Rather than setting plans and not showing. ***Which is far more egregious.

Completely different.

At least that's what "totally missed it" means to me.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not a deal breaker, but certainly sets you back a bit for sure. If you do get another chance you better impress.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    Honest is best policy, just tell them exactly what happened. We're humans and we make mistakes.

Couldn't help but to be reminded of the scene in movie Pursuit of Happiness where Will Smith comes late for interview. The night before he was arrested as hadn't paid parking tickets and they kept him in jail until the cheque he had written cleared in the bank.

He was taken from home with no shirt on and while painting. He came to a business interview with no shirt on paints all over him. He told the truth that he had just come from jail as hadn't paid parking tickets. The interviews laughed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHXKitKAT1E
  • W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    Declining and cancelling is far different than forgetting AKA no call no show. It's the equivolent of canceling a date or letting the girl or guy know you won't be going out that night. Rather than setting plans and not showing. ***Which is far more egregious.

Completely different.

At least that's what "totally missed it" means to me.

Yeah I agree. I know some employers that might still give the guy a chance if they really needed the position filled and couldn't find any qualified people but the real questions is whether or not this guy has even reached out to the employer yet. If it was just the next day then it wouldn't be too hard to say you had the wrong date marked on your calendar unless you've been ignoring a million calls from the recruiter or interviewer trying to find out why you aren't at the interview.

One thing that I noticed by looking back at the op was that it was posted on saturday and he said an interview was presented to him on a Friday at 4:30. I'm wondering if it was something along the lines of an offer for an interview was made to him possibly by email or voicemail and he just didn't notice it until it was too late but that's just a guess with the limited information provided by the op.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OP seems to have missed this thread too :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p