Cert Career Map

2»

Comments

• Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Man, I was sitting here thinking I'm about to knock out GCIA and GCIH and then go after my next position which would hopefully be a SOC Analyst for the gov't or gov't contractor and then I saw this thread mention having GCFA and GCFE and I was about to kill myself, lol. I think I need a loonnnnggg break from certs after I'm done with these GIAC's. I don't even want to think about CISSP at the moment...I need a beer.
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to thank OP and everyone else for their contributions to this thread. For someone interested in network administration and security, this helped clear up a lot of the confusion I had. Looks like I'm goin' CCENT and straight to CCNA: Sec if I decide to pursue the Cisco route. What would be the best vendor neutral route (if any) for someone interested in net admin and security?

Thanks everyone.
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The truth, there isn't one the best you can do is to mix vendors.
  • jaywalkerjaywalker Member Posts: 90 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I thought so. I'll proceed with the CCENT > CCNA: Sec route and hold off on the CCNA: R/S for now. Thanks for your input :)
    Goals for 2015: ICND1 [], ICND2 []

..........:cheers:
    A winner is you
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Currently, I was thinking about this path for myself when I graduate in 2 years. My goal is solidify a foundation where I can land a Network Admin or Sys Admin type of role.

Net+ -> CCENT R&S -> MSCA Windows 8 -> CCNA R&S -> MCSE Desktop or Server Infrastructure
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here is what I have so far. I apologize to daceto for converting everything to visio, clearly the better choice. Unfortunately, I don't have it at work. So, I cant make changes in visio. I stuck with power point for the time being.

I am still making changes. So, keep them coming. I have some glaring shortfalls in some of the positions. I'll work on improving them on the next iteration, particularly the sys admin area.

If you think I need to make corrections to a field that you have experience in let me know.

power point version: HERE (version 4.0)

** I have some management certs listed along the bottom. I have not placed them yet. They will eventually make their way into the management area.
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    Currently, I was thinking about this path for myself when I graduate in 2 years. My goal is solidify a foundation where I can land a Network Admin or Sys Admin type of role.

Net+ -> CCENT R&S -> MSCA Windows 8 -> CCNA R&S -> MCSE Desktop or Server Infrastructure

It's just CCENT, not CCENT R&S. Windows 8 will almost certainly never be deployed in enterprises. I really don't think its going to happen. My .02.

EDIT: Drac, i'd replace Snort CP with SFCP, primarily because I don't think many enterprises deploy straight Snort, its almost always a personalized version.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    yes its kinda funny that is sometimes a requirement for high end SOCs, but you probably won't use it. Other skills like Arcsight and SOC experince also matters to move between SOC. So Forensic isn't mandatory, but at my future work place, they are differentiating level 1 and level 2 due to forensics.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Is 6S still a thing? :p Yeah, I didn't include them on my list because They aren't directly IT certs TMK, but feel free to add them. Honestly I've never met anyone who attempted to use either in a way that benefited an organization.

Heh. In some places it's still a big deal... agree about the value though.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Drackar wrote: »
    Here is what I have so far. I apologize to daceto for converting everything to visio, clearly the better choice. Unfortunately, I don't have it at work. So, I cant make changes in visio. I stuck with power point for the time being.

I am still making changes. So, keep them coming. I have some glaring shortfalls in some of the positions. I'll work on improving them on the next iteration, particularly the sys admin area.

If you think I need to make corrections to a field that you have experience in let me know.

power point version: HERE (version 4.0)

** I have some management certs listed along the bottom. I have not placed them yet. They will eventually make their way into the management area.

No worries. I will adjust what I have for this latest version. I dont mind.
    Thanks daceto. Then ill buy Visio and install it for future changes.
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
  • dacetodaceto Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whew! This thing is getting a bit tight. LOL.

I have completed the changes to the Visio side.

Here is the new version:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12781860/Sec-path.vsd
    lol, Thanks daceto!