Taking the Net+ in a few hours

timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
In about an hour, I will be taking the Net+ exam. These are the resources I used to study:
  • Exam Cram Net+
  • Professor Messer Vids
  • Pluralsight Net+ vids
  • Previous experience and this forum
Wish me luck! I will update this post once I am done!

Comments

• joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    Good luck, hope you do well!
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    Good luck, I plan to take it the 3rd week of July.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I PASSED!!!!!! I scored 811/900!!!!! OMG, was that test hard.
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    congrats! about how long did you take to study?
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
    1.5 months consisting of 2 hours a day of reading and watching training vids.
  • DonM34DonM34 Member Posts: 139
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    I PASSED!!!!!! I scored 811/900!!!!! OMG, was that test hard.
    You though the Exam was HARD??
    2014 Goal [ ] CCENT [ ] MCTS (Active Directory) [ ] CompTIA Security+
    DonM34 wrote: »
    You though the Exam was HARD??

Real talk. I thought I failed midway through the exam. The SIMS stumped me.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    congrats. It sure was a lot of information to digest when i took it 3 years ago. But it is great exposure and terminology.
    The N+ is more like a 2 inch deep ocean, whereas higher level certs explore "certain areas" much much deeper.

once again congrats and welcome to the club. Such a cert gave me my break when I first started, i hold it in high regard :)

What are your next plans? Cisco??? icon_wink.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif I also thought the exam was tough when I took it (knowing the non-Cisco terms). After the 3rd (glitched) simulation, I was thinking about how embarrassing it would be the next day in front of my classmates if I failed Network+ yet passed CCNA: R&S. icon_rolleyes.gif Fortunately, the drag down menus worked when I selected the questions on the review screen. icon_scratch.gif
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats. It sure was a lot of information to digest when i took it 3 years ago. But it is great exposure and terminology.
    The N+ is more like a 2 inch deep ocean, whereas higher level certs explore "certain areas" much much deeper.

once again congrats and welcome to the club. Such a cert gave me my break when I first started, i hold it in high regard :)

What are your next plans? Cisco??? icon_wink.gif

Yes Sir, taking a break and heading onto the CCENT path. Any tips or suggestions?
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    Yes Sir, taking a break and heading onto the CCENT path. Any tips or suggestions?

Yes, keep the interest you have in networking. It will really make you want more and more of Cisco.

I recommend Todd Lammle's book. I also have the Official book by odom, but it is hard cover, and huge. And just like others have said, it is a little dry. I refer to it after reading Lammle's chapters.

Get the CCENT(ICND1) Book and then purchase the CCNA book when you want to tackle ICND2.
    (its another book purchase but much easier than carrying 1100 pages. thats my only reason lol, the ICND2 book is essentially both books in one, right after each other.)

Also, I am unsure if you ever heard of Jeremy Cioara, but he one of the best IT teachers I have ever come across.
    if you can obtain his 100-101 CBT Nugget videos, you'll be golden. It really helps to watch the videos before reading the chapters in Lammle's book.

Along with texts and videos, you will also need to start trying the practical parts. This is key. This is what you'll be paid to do in the future, and this is what cements the concepts into your brain. Go along with the setups in the chapters you read or videos you watch. Why not try the same things you are seeing? Also theres loads of lab scenarios online for free.
    There are various methods to this.
    1. Purchase used cisco gear on ebay.
    This is as real as it gets. The most recommended method. You get to rack and stack them, cable them, console into them just like a technician would do! You have access to all the commands, as well as all the physical problems that can arise which solidifies your troubleshooting knowledge. Look at my sig, this is what I am currently using and it has helped me tremendously. doesnt cost as much as you think, as these devices are 10-12+ years old.

2. Emulation/Simulation
    This isn't as real but it can be much easier to set up. This also helps you see devices in a logical view for understanding.
    Cisco provides Packet tracer software to students. I find this really amazing when I am on the go. Not all commands are available and it isnt really recommended for anything past CCNA level but it works! There is also GNS3, which is an emulator that allows you to use actual cisco ios software. This works great too for people past CCNA.

So yeah, texts, videos, practice. I'd also like to add in good study ethics. It is easy to forget material if you just put studying off. But dont worry, once you find your groove, you just gobble it all up. Also try and take notes or whiteboard/post useful info on your wall/desk.

ps. if you thought you were done with subnetting, think again! muahaha. no seriously, this will make or break you. You need to subnet like a champion in order to answer questions quickly(ccna doesnt give you much time to sit on each question), to troubleshoot network questions and to read and view diagrams easily.
    search for a thread on these forums labeled "Subnetting made Easy", it helped me and many others.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
    Yes, keep the interest you have in networking. It will really make you want more and more of Cisco.

I recommend Todd Lammle's book. I also have the Official book by odom, but it is hard cover, and huge. And just like others have said, it is a little dry. I refer to it after reading Lammle's chapters.

Get the CCENT(ICND1) Book and then purchase the CCNA book when you want to tackle ICND2.
    (its another book purchase but much easier than carrying 1100 pages. thats my only reason lol, the ICND2 book is essentially both books in one, right after each other.)

Also, I am unsure if you ever heard of Jeremy Cioara, but he one of the best IT teachers I have ever come across.
    if you can obtain his 100-101 CBT Nugget videos, you'll be golden. It really helps to watch the videos before reading the chapters in Lammle's book.

Along with texts and videos, you will also need to start trying the practical parts. This is key. This is what you'll be paid to do in the future, and this is what cements the concepts into your brain. Go along with the setups in the chapters you read or videos you watch. Why not try the same things you are seeing? Also theres loads of lab scenarios online for free.
    There are various methods to this.
    1. Purchase used cisco gear on ebay.
    This is as real as it gets. The most recommended method. You get to rack and stack them, cable them, console into them just like a technician would do! You have access to all the commands, as well as all the physical problems that can arise which solidifies your troubleshooting knowledge. Look at my sig, this is what I am currently using and it has helped me tremendously. doesnt cost as much as you think, as these devices are 10-12+ years old.

2. Emulation/Simulation
    This isn't as real but it can be much easier to set up. This also helps you see devices in a logical view for understanding.
    Cisco provides Packet tracer software to students. I find this really amazing when I am on the go. Not all commands are available and it isnt really recommended for anything past CCNA level but it works! There is also GNS3, which is an emulator that allows you to use actual cisco ios software. This works great too for people past CCNA.

So yeah, texts, videos, practice. I'd also like to add in good study ethics. It is easy to forget material if you just put studying off. But dont worry, once you find your groove, you just gobble it all up. Also try and take notes or whiteboard/post useful info on your wall/desk.

ps. if you thought you were done with subnetting, think again! muahaha. no seriously, this will make or break you. You need to subnet like a champion in order to answer questions quickly(ccna doesnt give you much time to sit on each question), to troubleshoot network questions and to read and view diagrams easily.
    search for a thread on these forums labeled "Subnetting made Easy", it helped me and many others.

Thanks for the tips and suggestion, bro! As of right now, I have a plan of attack for the CCENT
    1. Read Odom CCENT 100-101 through and lab
    2. Watch Jeremy's CBT Nugget vids
    3. Re-read Odom's book and re-take/take another practice exam
    4. Practice, practice, practice
    For the lab equipment, I was thinking x2 2950 with a WICT1 card and x2 1841 Routers. I also need a lab guide as well.
    Thats awesome. dont be afraid to watch a video first. its a method thats helped me get through many things, not just IT certs.

Heres an amazing vid with a hilarious introduction bit. Thought you might want to watch some of it for laughs and motivation!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzHcbJeigeM
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • 10jwood10jwood Member Posts: 24 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I too just recently passed my Network+ and will be studying CCENT! Good luck!