How to Create a TFTP Server

Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
This may / may not be the correct place to post this but I know us Cisco guys have plenty of experience with TFTP servers.

So here is what I am trying to do...

I have a spare PC at home that is collecting dust and I figured I might as well make good use of it. I am in the final steps of building out my Switch lab and started thinking I might as well try and make use of the PC for something related to my lab. I had the idea that it would be great to convert it over to a linux distribution and create a TFTP server out of it my switches can uplink to and save configs to.

Seems simple but I have no idea where to start. My familiarity with Linux is very limited so I really don't know where to begin but thought this would be a great way to further learn it.

I will be googling things here and there but just curious if any of yall have done this before or something similar and mind sharing what approach you took.

Thanks!
Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
"Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Are you looking for a linux specific solution? You can just download something like tftpd(32/64), and run that which it would then be running as a tftp server for file uploads and downloads for your network devices.

Just need to use the pc's IP on the network devices when setting the tftp server, and likewise use the network devices IP in TFTPd to define the tftp client to which files are being uploaded to. It is very easy.
  • ReibeReibe Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with ande0255. I always just run tftpd (they also have a service edition) that just runs on either my PC for temporary usage or on a windows server I have.
  • Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Specifically yes I would like something that uses Linux. At work we have other equipment that uses linux (Checkpoint firewalls, load balancers, and out own TFTP servers) so the additional practice would help.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are alot of guides out there for setting up Linux servers. Here's one I found - Ubuntu / Debian Linux: Install and Setup TFTPD Server - that uses Debian.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Pretty much pick your OS/tftpd and go for it, just keep in mind that if it's a really old PC (like the single core P4s for example.....) then it probably takes more power to run it vs. a couple of switches/routers , maybe bring up a vm on your main PC and run tftpd there instead?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.