Options

Is It Too Early Collecting CPE's?

CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
So, I passed the exam several weeks ago. I am waiting for the certification after endorsement was sent in. Is it too early to start to collect CPE's? I am taking several security classes with DoD VTE by Carnegie Mellon University before my access is locked. Also, these classes help me to improve my security and GIAC Exploit Researcher and Advanced Penetration Tester (GXPN) exam.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.

Comments

• Options
    TheProfezzorTheProfezzor Member Posts: 204 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can start collecting CPE'S. You should not mention yourself as a CISSP, until you get endorsed and an email from ISC2. Other than that, collecting CPE's is not an issue.
    OSCP: Loading . . .
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Actually, ISC2 specifically states on your "Congrats, you're a CISSP" letter that any CPE activities completed before the start of your CISSP award date (the date ISC2 awards you the CISSP designation upon completion of your endorsement, NOT the date of your test pass) will not be accepted.

I passed on 14 Apr 2014, and here is the actual text from my ISC2 congratulatory email:

Certification cycle
    Your three-year certification cycle begins on Jun 01, 2014 and ends on May 31, 2017.

You may not claim CPE credits for activities that occurred prior to your certification cycle start date.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yep. Hold off till you receive that final email. If you have already passed a couple of weeks ago, try to hold off. Should be any day now. If training is hard to come by, definitely wait.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Thanks everyone for the replies, I properly taking the course and do not take the exam. Therefore, once I complete the exam would show the course completion date.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    CloudKill9CloudKill9 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Offtopic here - I have no affiliation with DoD for at least two years now and I still have my access to DoD VTE by Carnegie Mellon University, though I believe it's under a different name, FedVTE.