Network+ Performance Based Questions

Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
Hey everyone.

I have a question regarding the Network+ performance based questions.

How did you prepare for them? Because I am not sure how to set up a lab for the network+ exam. I understand the performance based questions may include some command prompt questions and other questions regarding Windows based environments but I was wondering if there is any specific way to get a good amount of hands on experience to successfully be able to answer the performance based q's.

If anyone has any tips / ideas on what I can do to practice these, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have just finished the MTA: 98-366 Networking Fundamentals exam which was quite easy but moving onto the Network+ is definitely a step forward. I am using the Exam Cram book and will be practicing using the included practice exams.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance.

Justin

Comments

• TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    There is really no need to set up a lab to prepare for the Network+ exam.
    The performance based questions are very straight forward and you won't have any issues with them if you have studied the topics in the objectives.
    If you go to CompTIA's website and review the objectives for the exam.

OSI model, media types, IGP, EGP, default ports, nbtstat, netstat, ifconfig etc.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    I agree. If you have a home network (WIFI is fine), most of the commands can be used from your PC/Laptop. Make sure you use them just to get familiar with them. You may be asked to use the commands in a prompt to figure out the answer to a question or set up the appropriate wifi network grid with which antennae types make the most sense and which setup is appropriate or connect computers and servers to the network switch and hubs with the correct cables. When studying, think about the topics and how you would apply those to real life. Think of the on the job application of the topics; those topics are what could potentially be made into a performance based question.

I'm also a huge fan of Darril's website and book: Network+ Blog Links - Get Certified Get Ahead | Get Certified Get Ahead
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Great responses. I will definitely check out the commands when I'm nearly done the exam cram book. Also, how much subnetting did you have on the exam? Do I need to thoroughly know the procedure / be able to subnet fast? The comptia site just says subnetting so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks for both of your answers. Greatly appreciated !

Justin
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Skip the performance scenario questions and do the multiple choice first. It's easier to manage your time and they make up the bulk of the test. Go back with your remaining time and mess around with the scenarios. I left several of them unanswered and still ended up with a 822. Makes me suspect the N10-005 exam doesn't actually factor the scenario questions into your score or they're not weighted very heavily.
    Interesting. So in the exam I can skip the question and go back to it at the end? Can you also let me know how much subnetting I should go into? Do I need to be able to answer a subnetting question in a few seconds or is it not that into depth on the exam? Thanks for all your answers.

+Rep :)

Justin
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    My approach to the Performance Based questions was to do the ones I could and skip the others until after the multiple choice. I think I skipped 1 or 2, and ended up pretty confident with them when I went back at the end of the exam.

Subnetting is definitely on the exam, it's included in the objectives as a need to know. The testing center will provide you with a marker and whiteboard. That should be sufficient for working them out. I didn't memorize any of the common patterns and instead just worked on calculating them by hand. It seemed to work just fine for me. I don't do networking for a living, so I'm sure someone with more experience than I had could have recognized some of them off the top of their head. For me, subnetting always requires pen and paper.
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Justin- wrote: »
    Interesting. So in the exam I can skip the question and go back to it at the end? Can you also let me know how much subnetting I should go into? Do I need to be able to answer a subnetting question in a few seconds or is it not that into depth on the exam? Thanks for all your answers.

+Rep :)

Justin

As mentioned in the answers on this thread, CompTIA does let you go back and review / change answer for the question later during the exam. Just bare in mind that this is not the case for all other vendors. For example on Cisco exams you are not allowed to do so.

In regards to subnetting and speed for the Network+ exam, as zidian mentioned subnetting is indeed covered and you should know how to subnet, however don't focus too much on speed. The key is to get the correct answer, whereas on CCENT / CCNA exams you should be able to subnet with speed.
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018
    Thank you very much Trashman for the clarification and to everyone who helped!

Cheers!

Justin
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Yes, subnetting is on the exam, but knowing it won't make or break you like with the CCNA. Most of them are simple questions that you can answer off the cuff without doing any calculations.
  • k-weaverk-weaver Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Trashman wrote: »
    As mentioned in the answers on this thread, CompTIA does let you go back and review / change answer for the question later during the exam. Just bare in mind that this is not the case for all other vendors. For example on Cisco exams you are not allowed to do so.

In regards to subnetting and speed for the Network+ exam, as zidian mentioned subnetting is indeed covered and you should know how to subnet, however don't focus too much on speed. The key is to get the correct answer, whereas on CCENT / CCNA exams you should be able to subnet with speed.

There is also a flag for review option I found very helpful. Once you get to the end of the test you can review all the questions you flagged.
  • lt1jwlt1jw Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello. I am new here. I am not an IT professional by career, but I do a lot of networking work within the manufacturing world. I took the exam today and passed with an 823. The performance based questions took more time than I expected, but that may be due to the fact that I am usually on the machine side of the network. There was a subnetting question in the performance based part of the exam. I thought the performance based stuff was fair, just a bit time consuming. You need to know basic device setup, such as WAP settings, IP settings, subnetting. I still had time left over to review the questions I flagged.
  • Apex702Apex702 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, if I am following, the test is taken on a computer?

I have taken a Net+ practice test via MeasureUp for free (military) and although I have no experience and have only been studying in my free time for the last 6 weeks I did fairly well--60%. Is it similar to those exams?

I went from not knowing even the most rudimentary networking terminology/protocols to that, with roughly 30-40 hours of study time. I intend to purchase the 60 day online practice tests from MeasureUp once I have completed the Net+ simulator software from Pearson. Do you believe that would be enough to pass?

Learning the concepts is not difficult, it's simply finding the time. I work and still have an 18 month old so my free time is somewhat limited. Any help would be appreciated.
  • ewright27ewright27 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If the Network+ exam is anything like A+, I think I'll flag and come back to the simulations after answering the multiple choice questions...
  • garryebgarryeb Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I skipped mine till the end too. I found mine really difficult!! I passed so it's all good though. :)