Trick question on a practise exam

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Guys,

without looking in my books but...

but crossover are kind of a thing of the past for most modern switches right? - if memory serves me correctly without looking in a book. port have something I think called auto-mdx that can sense the need for a crossover and alter the signal?

meaning you don't technically need a crossover a normal ethernet would work...

Comments

• tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Yes, Auto MDIX is available on most switches. It became popular with the gigabit standard, so for 100 megabit and older switches, you might be best off to stick to the cabling requirements.
  • rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes and no. Auto-MDX didn't come become common until I believe the 3550 series of switches. There is still a lot of older stuff out there that does not support it.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What you need to understand is what a crossover is and why it is used. Once you understand the send and receive signals you can then worry about choosing a physical crossover cable or logical MDIX configuration.

I believe at the CCNA level everything will assume you are not using MDIX. They want you to demonstrate the knowledge of crossing the send and receive connections on like devices. Don't assume my opinion is right on this because we are taught about MDIX and they may be testing that knowledge with the question.

Good Luck
  • eteneten Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    important to note that mdix requires the port to be in auto/auto for it to work properly.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Thanks for the feedback. I see now why this question was presented.
  • Admiral AkmirAdmiral Akmir Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It seems kind of simple, but for some reason, the cabling has never stuck in my head, even through several years of doing hands on labs in school. This kind of information gap won't be acceptable for CCNA, so does anyone have a way they remember what cable is used between any two devices?
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It seems kind of simple, but for some reason, the cabling has never stuck in my head, even through several years of doing hands on labs in school. This kind of information gap won't be acceptable for CCNA, so does anyone have a way they remember what cable is used between any two devices?

Like devices use crossover

Router to Router
    Router to PC
    Switch to Switch
    Switch to Hub
    Hub to Hub
    PC to PC

Unlike Devices use Straight Through

Router to Switch
    Router to Hub
    Switch to PC
    Hub to PC

One way to remember that a PC and Router are like devices is to imagine a PC connected to a Switch which is connected to a Router. Each connection would be straight through, but remove the switch and you would need a crossover.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□