Options

Any recommended resources for Oracle Databases?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
In my new System Admin role, I'm backing up a DBA and all database work is done in Oracle.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend any recommendations for Oracle references to get up to speed with it.

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Jock can't be of too much help. I found that a used text book that was geared around the product, such as Oracle RDBMS helped me learn a lot better than a product book. A lot of that knowledge can be obtained on Google, however learning it in a systematic way the text book helped a lot more.

http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Database-Administrator-second-Text/dp/B004VEC9M8/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403978382&sr=1-6&keywords=oracle+10g+text+book

It wasn't this exact book but it helped me understanding metadata, building structures, constraints, normalization, indexing, and some other critical concepts.

Depending on how you learn you may be better off getting a product book and learning the functionality that way and applying it.

I prefer to have a concept level or theory based level of knowledge before moving into the material. Bottom line for me though is if I do it I learn it if I don't get the hands on I never really synthesize the knowledge.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Jock can't be of too much help. I found that a used text book that was geared around the product, such as Oracle RDBMS helped me learn a lot better than a product book. A lot of that knowledge can be obtained on Google, however learning it in a systematic way the text book helped a lot more.

Oracle 10g Database Administrator 2nd (second) edition Text Only: Gavin (Gavin Powell) Powell: Amazon.com: Books

It wasn't this exact book but it helped me understanding metadata, building structures, constraints, normalization, indexing, and some other critical concepts.

Depending on how you learn you may be better off getting a product book and learning the functionality that way and applying it.

I prefer to have a concept level or theory based level of knowledge before moving into the material. Bottom line for me though is if I do it I learn it if I don't get the hands on I never really synthesize the knowledge.

Yup...I'm doing alot of Googling as I react to issues about the Oracle database. Not my style, yet I don't see myself setting down the path of Oracle certification, not my cup of tea.

However I do need to get up to speed with certain terms that are getting thrown around the office: schema, objects, System Tables and so forth.

I basically would like to find some sort of site where I can read up on things and start to create my own document for knowledge.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave | SQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Big Data and NoSQL

I really like his material I find it easy to understand.

W3 SQL is nice as well, when I am having a brain fart moment and I need a quick and easy explanation.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Journey to SQL Authority with Pinal Dave | SQL, SQL Server, MySQL, Big Data and NoSQL

I really like his material I find it easy to understand.

W3 SQL is nice as well, when I am having a brain fart moment and I need a quick and easy explanation.

SQL is no problem and I have a book on it from the grad schools days that I use for sold references. However, thanks for the recommendation, I still will check it out.

-unknown
  • Options
    The SQL authority does provide a lot of code, but he also talks about backups and other administrative functions, like execution plans and optimization. While it may not be the best source to go to it has been very helpful for me, because like you (it sounds like) I don't have a lot of experience with backing up tables etc.

I know in MS SQL server you can right click the database file select backup and indicate if you want it full, incremental or just the logs. Then point to your directory and it will save the database as a .BAK file type.

I found this pretty cool You Tube video walking you through a backing up a Oracle Database using the command prompt.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH0E-g9qj90

I'm glad I went through the tutorials I learned something from it as well.

Take care.
  • Options
    Not sure how accurate this information is, since it is coming from Wikipedia, however this is more in line in what I was looking for:

Oracle Database - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Database schema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_(computer_science)

ORACLE Architecture and Terminology

-unknown
  • Options
    In my new System Admin role, I'm backing up a DBA and all database work is done in Oracle.

Was wondering if anyone can recommend any recommendations for Oracle references to get up to speed with it.

I was assuming it was the backup. Not Oracle white pages and architecture documents.

Thanks for the resources.
  • Options
    Sorry for the confusion.

-unknown