Studying for fun paying off in the real world!

lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
One of the certs I'm pursuing for fun is the CCNA, which I'll probably turn into the CCNA Security since that is more relevant to what I do as an infrastructure engineer.

I'm almost done with the first read through Lammle's book on the new CCNA exam and whereas I was somewhat noob-ish with networking stuff before (aside from TCP/IP, OSI, DNS, DHCP, etc) I've been getting deeper into switch/router/firewall configs and it all makes more sense now. I love it from a troubleshooting perspective and it's very, very helpful with everything server/virtualization/SAN related.

Recent problems solved:
Incorrect NAT's
Firewall ACL's listed out of order (firewall hitting explicit deny before evaluating ACL)
Cleaning up ASA config via service/network object groups
AAA group/VPN authentication failure (LDAP service account relocated in AD, thanks sys admin...)
GRE tunnel failure (backup primary datacenter route...!!!)
Stacked switch replacements (spotted improper MTU config required for end-to-end jumbo frames for the SAN's)
Rogue routes (was a wtf moment for a bit!)
Portfast not configured on CIO's new network drop
VLAN misconfigurations

There's a few others I can't recall but it's been such a big help furthering my ability to do just about everything with my own two hands since as an infra engi I do just that...everything! Also, whereas I used Wireshark/NetMon before for troubleshooting issues...it's my new best friend! Seriously <3 pcaps.

Along with the CCNA, looking forward to knocking out the VCP this fall...also will be upgrading my MCSA 2012 to MCSE for Server and probably Private Cloud. Looking forward to where things go from here icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Good work! I actually took the CCNA exam back when I was starting my career and I kinda forgot everything. Those skills you mentioned are great, I think I might reconsider doing the CCNA or CCNA security again
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah great work bud! I have this on my radar too, did you build a lab or is it all virtual?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    lsud00d wrote: »
    One of the certs I'm pursuing for fun is the CCNA, which I'll probably turn into the CCNA Security since that is more relevant to what I do as an infrastructure engineer.

I'm almost done with the first read through Lammle's book on the new CCNA exam and whereas I was somewhat noob-ish with networking stuff before (aside from TCP/IP, OSI, DNS, DHCP, etc) I've been getting deeper into switch/router/firewall configs and it all makes more sense now. I love it from a troubleshooting perspective and it's very, very helpful with everything server/virtualization/SAN related.

Recent problems solved:
    Incorrect NAT's
    Firewall ACL's listed out of order (firewall hitting explicit deny before evaluating ACL)
    Cleaning up ASA config via service/network object groups
    AAA group/VPN authentication failure (LDAP service account relocated in AD, thanks sys admin...)
    GRE tunnel failure (backup primary datacenter route...!!!)
    Stacked switch replacements (spotted improper MTU config required for end-to-end jumbo frames for the SAN's)
    Rogue routes (was a wtf moment for a bit!)
    Portfast not configured on CIO's new network drop
    VLAN misconfigurations

There's a few others I can't recall but it's been such a big help furthering my ability to do just about everything with my own two hands since as an infra engi I do just that...everything! Also, whereas I used Wireshark/NetMon before for troubleshooting issues...it's my new best friend! Seriously <3 pcaps.

Along with the CCNA, looking forward to knocking out the VCP this fall...also will be upgrading my MCSA 2012 to MCSE for Server and probably Private Cloud. Looking forward to where things go from here icon_cheers.gif

I know the feeling exactly. Reading Lammie/Odom book has opened my eyes to things that now I look at Cisco config at work and I'm like that's not right and I fix them and issues for 3 years go away....

However my boss thinks I'm stupid hence why I'm applying to different jobs. Want an employer that will appreciate my knowledge....
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Thanks y'all! The feels :)

@UnixGuy, how much did the CCNA knowledge help with the RHCE? I know in the RHCSA that there's some basic configuration of services and was wondering if there's any network troubleshooting involved with either RHCSA/RHCE?

@Essendon, at home I play with Packet Tracer but TBH most of my time is spent on production systems. I do mostly switch/firewall configuration changes--I am nowhere near knowledgeable enough to mess with any of the routing protocols lol. I always go into a situation having respect for the unknown because I NEVER want to be the guy that brought down production systems, although I do get people out of a bind that do it to themselves. I'd imagine you use Wireshark to troubleshoot VMware issues?

@Deathmage, you will do great. I've enjoyed seeing your progress on here and the right job will come to you in due time.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    lsud00d wrote: »

@Deathmage, you will do great. I've enjoyed seeing your progress on here and the right job will come to you in due time.

:) - I'm touched.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    To be honest the CCNA knowledge didn't help me at all with the RHCE. Apart from the general Networking knowledge (theoretical concepts), there is zero overlap. Btw I got my real networking foundation from uni not CCNA.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Like your attitude lsud00d! Yes, I use Wireshark as the need arises, although vSphere logs and performance graphs are the first port of call.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com