Decimal to Binary conversion confusion

aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I am hoping someone here can help me. I am using the 128-64-32-16-8-4-2-1, however I am unable to put the decimal number 101 in binary for some reason even though I use the 128-64-32-16-8-4-2-1 conversion chart. According to a decimal to binary conversion website that does this for you the answer is 1100101. I am stumped as to why a #1 is at the beginning of the binary because based off of what I learned 128 is not less than or equal to 101 which makes it a 0. Can anyone please clarify what it is I am doing wrong? icon_cry.gif Thank you.

Comments

• murphy80murphy80 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The first bit was left off. 01100101 = 101
  • sting_224sting_224 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    128 + 64 + 32 + 16 + 8 + 4 + 2 + 1

0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1

101 = 01100101
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Murphy80 has it!

The number he posted includes all eight bits, whereas in the original post there are only seven bits listed.

Good work!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • aolishaolish Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    oh okay I understand now. So I got the answer correct just that one bit was left out. My goodness! If I hadn't known that I might of gotten a question wrong on the exam. Thanks for the clarification!
  • aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Conversion can be tricky sometimes, and your question is a great example of a tricky one. I had to train myself to always think right-to-left when dealing with binary, not left-to-right.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    @aolish,
    you had a great questions, and I am pleased you were able to see how the forums work...post a clear question and the members jump in to assist.

Happy studies!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?