ICND2 Passsssss!

djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
986/1000. I can't believe I scored that high because this exam was a pain in the ass (at some points). I studied Lammle's study guide for the past three weeks and labbed in Packet Tracer. I have access to the CBT Nugget videos, but I've been just settling in at my new job and have used most of my downtime at work to just run through each ICND2 chapter from the book. Exam wasn't easier or harder than ICND1; it was just different. WAN technologies are extremely interesting and highly relevant to my job, so I was able to chew up all the information in each chapter and understand it/put it into context easily enough.

Now I'm on to Microsoft land to trudge through the MCSA: 2008R2 & Windows 7 Config exams. Bleh.
AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]

Comments

• mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent!! Yeah, after ICND2 i wanna hop on server 2008 bandwagon.. i have it set up here in a Virtual Box.

GOOD JOB

Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'd like to keep going down the networking route (CCNA Voice and CCNP), but I gotta knock out these MS classes for WGU. I mean, the knowledge I gain from these courses won't hurt at all (the systems guy at work will be thrilled to have someone to ask him plenty of questions about servers, etc.). If I'd have known better, however, I would have taken these cert exams two years ago when I was taking the server 2008 classes for my Associates degree. I'm just being a baby, thoughicon_study.gif
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    Congrats dude, I enjoyed ICND2 more then INCD1.

Why not rather go for MCSA 2012 instead of MCSA 2008? I went from Microsoft to Cisco and having a bit of server knowledge really does help a lot in troubleshooting especially when the server guys try to bullsh!t you and make it seem like it is a network issue
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Congrats dude, I enjoyed ICND2 more then INCD1.

Why not rather go for MCSA 2012 instead of MCSA 2008? I went from Microsoft to Cisco and having a bit of server knowledge really does help a lot in troubleshooting especially when the server guys try to bullsh!t you and make it seem like it is a network issue

Ah, I wish I could just take the Server 2012 exams, but my WGU classes are all 2008 R2 classes (70-640, 70-642 and 70-646). Although, it is just a simple matter of taking one more exam to upgrade the cert to the 2012 iteration (which I'll just have to pay for on my own). It's kind of funny that you say that about server guys: let's just say the systems dude at my work isn't too keen on taking on tickets that have to do with servers in that he'll try and pawn it off on our network guy first.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Congrats man! ....brings confidence to my mind too.... a few more weeks for me!
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    After you take the classes, are you going to also pursue the certs on your own? I'm also studying at WGU. I'm taking Net+ and Security + next week, then plan to start the ICND1 & ICND2. Good job!
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • timesvan32timesvan32 Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Is ICND1 harder than ICDN2? What is your take?
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great job. I agree that the ICND1 is just different from the ICND2, not that much harder.
    As far as the Microsoft exams, I just left the test center for the MCTS Win7. It's not a hard exam just make sure read and lab a bit and you'll do fine.
    I have to take the Server 2008 classes at WGU as well and then I'll be mostly done with my degree.
    Have you heard from your mentor yet about them introducing Server 2012 in August?
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
    timesvan32 wrote: »
    Is ICND1 harder than ICDN2? What is your take?

Again, they're just a bit different from each other; one isn't necessarily harder than the other. ICND1 focuses heavily on subnetting and LAN layer 2/3 protocols. ICND2 introduces more layer 2/3 stuff with STP (and its variants), EIGRP (relatively easy enough to configure and troubleshoot) and a deeper dive into OSPF (multi-area, v3). It's also heavily focused on WAN technologies such as PPP, DSL/Cable, Frame Relay, GRE tunneling etc. I only wished that it delved more into BGP and MPLS (but I guess I'll have to wait for CCNP).

@gadav478: I have a weekly call with my mentor today, so I'll ask him about it. It'll be nice if they can offer the upgrade exam, for sure.

@ITrimble: YES! I mean: why not? I kinda wish WGU would drop the Net+ cert. My buddy back up in Washington had to take the Net+ and CCENT courses. IMO, the Net+ is a waste of time/energy since the CCENT is offered. Security+ was fun and actually helped a bit with port security for my CCNA studies, believe it or not. But yeah, I'm definitely going to upgrade my MCSAs to the 2012/Windows 8 versions when I get a chance, and possibly go for an MCSE or two. CCNP is definitely on my radar for the near future since I've developed a deep fondness for networking. I might go for a CCNA: Voice, too, since my work involves a lot of Cisco phone/CM configuration and troubleshooting (Cisco partner).
  • MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□