Options

ICND2: VLans on a 2950

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Can a 2950 only have one Up-Up vlan at a time? Whenever I no-shut one vlan, another one goes admin-down.

Please advise.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There is a thread about this somewhere else, but yes, only 1 interface VLAN can be online.

You can have many access VLANs that you can assign to various switchports, but as for your
    management/native vlan (or SVI) only one can do.. I've done that before: Make two diff interface vlans , and one would shutdown and the other would come up, etc etc.

A Guru probably can explain this better than I
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    You can have many access VLANs that you can assign to various switchports, but as for your
    management/native vlan (or SVI) only one can do..

Just to clarify, this has nothing to do with the native VLAN. You can only have one SVI in the up up state.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    L2 switch SVIs are strictly used for remote management. Multiple SVIs are used on L3 switches only and allow virtual gateways for downstream devices configured on that VLAN. FYI you can remote into a L3 switch from any of their SVIs (Whatever their IP address for that SVI is). As for the native vlan (Which is defaulted to 1) is the VLAN that isn't "tagged" when being pushed across the trunk (Which carries all vlans through it, assuming you haven't pruned any). This traffic can communicate with every other VLAN (Which is how VLAN hopping occurs).

Hopefully that answered your question.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []