How does GISF compare to Security+

Dunkers404Dunkers404 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
So my curiosity has lead to me look at entry level security certifications and I was just wondering how does the Security+ compare to the GISF?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I don't know, but not many out there know what GISF is. On top of that it was removed from DoD 8570. As much as I like SANS, from a merely ROI perspective, I would do Security+.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Search the major job boards (Monster, Dice, LinkedIn, etc.) for "GISF" and "Security+" and report back here how many hits you get for each.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With just indeed.com: GISF only 1 received one hit. Security+ is over 2,000 hits. This is surprising since I thought GIAC certifications would be highly sought after. Then again, my bubble was popped when I typed SSCP a long while ago. From exam blueprints, both GISF and SSCP seem to be more advanced than the Security+. However, Security+ is overwhelmingly popular. Why is there such renown recognition with Security+? Is it because CompTia has been around for over 30 years while GIAC is still a little over 10? Maybe it is the reverse: more people have Security+, so it would be wise to open positions that have certifications tailor to a majority of people?

EDIT:

Security+ has been around since 2002. I could not find out how long GISF has been around for. I would assume not for too long since GIAC was established around 1999.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When people think of GIAC certifications, they're thinking more along the lines of the GSEC, GCIA, and GCIH (as well as a few others). The GISF seems really introductory since it ties with the SEC301 course and as someone who holds a bunch of GIAC certs, based on the description I wouldn't recommend the GISF due to lack of name recognition and the associated cost. I'd hazard a guess that Security+ would provide way better return on investment, even though it's very first-grade level.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Plus...who the hell pays that kind of money for an entry level certification? Stick with Sec+ for entry level, and move to GIAC once you've established yourself enough in the industry that your employer pays for all your certs icon_thumright.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Doyen wrote: »
    Security+ has been around since 2002. I could not find out how long GISF has been around for. I would assume not for too long since GIAC was established around 1999.
    Why are there over 250K certificants for Security+ but only a little over 1K certificants for SSCP when the SSCP cert is older than the Security+ cert? One answer: Marketing. The (ISC)2 hasn't put nearly as much S&M (sales & marketing, pun intended) into the SSCP as CompTIA has put into the Security+.