I found out why I've been having issues with my No-IP hostname not resolving . . .

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
https://www.noip.com/blog/2014/06/30/ips-formal-statement-microsoft-takedown/

Looks like MS borked quite a few No-IP hostnames (including mine.)

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Looks like they didn't even go to No-IP before executing the takedown! What a bunch of jerks!
    ...Apparently, the Microsoft infrastructure is not able to handle the billions of queries from our customers. Millions of innocent users are experiencing outages to their services because of Microsoft’s attempt to remediate hostnames associated with a few bad actors.

Had Microsoft contacted us, we could and would have taken immediate action. Microsoft now claims that it just wants to get us to clean up our act, but its draconian actions have affected millions of innocent Internet users.

Millions of dynamic DNS users suffer after Microsoft seizes No-IP domains | Ars Technica
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm no political fanatic, but it's intriguing to me to see how fine the line between government and mega-corps is getting.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    I'm no political fanatic, but it's intriguing to me to see how fine the line between government and mega-corps is getting.

Agree 100%
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hmm, just checked and my hostname doesn't resolve. I haven't used it since last week sometime. I guess I'm one of those evil botnets or something.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    As far as I'm concerned this type of thing should be done by a third party, not the "affected party" as it were. Also they shouldn't be able to take over DNS for an entire company just because of some bad sub-domains. Nor should a legitimate business ever have an ex-parte order issued against them. If they had been able to testify MS would have never been able to get the approval.

Plus if MS was genuinely concerned with the security of their software, they would still patch XP since so many are still holding on to it. Just saying.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like I'm resolving again.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%