Darril Gibson SSCP book too easy?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I'm about to finish Darril Gibson's All-in-One SSCP book, but I do very well on end-of-chapter questions that now I feel suspicious that maybe the book is too easy!

I easily get 85% on questions. I didn't want to hijack other threads on his book, so I want to find out if anybody else found his book easy. On the other hand, I think he's doing an excellent job explaining the material.

P.S.

This isn't the only source I use; I've read a few other books as well, but use this to skim through my weak areas as I heard so many good things about his book.

Comments

• kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I passed the SSCP recently using only that book, and google searches in-between. Touch up on the cloud knowledge (which it's lacking), and you will be ok.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • Arnie335Arnie335 Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I'm about to finish Darril Gibson's All-in-One SSCP book, but I do very well on end-of-chapter questions that now I feel suspicious that maybe the book is too easy!

I easily get 85% on questions. I didn't want to hijack other threads on his book, so I want to find out if anybody else found his book easy. On the other hand, I think he's doing an excellent job explaining the material.

P.S.

This isn't the only source I use; I've read a few other books as well, but use this to skim through my weak areas as I heard so many good things about his book.

I'm in the same boat. The questions are too easy and leave me wondering if I really know the material or if the questions are too simple.

My SSCP test is in one week and I must say I am having anxiety about it. I've read this book twice, taken notes, taken tons of practice exams, watched a few CBT nuggets, YouTube videos on Encryption and reviewed the CCC notes 2.0, Google searches etc. Just when I think I know a topic, here comes a random question on a practice test that completely throws me off.

And I still don't feel like I know enough to pass. I'm not sure why. Cryptography has to be the toughest part of this book - Yeah I understand the general concepts but it does go into detail and can be very confusing and Im not one to retain knowledge that well.

Sure, it may have been easy for you to remember and retain, but not for me. Am i just thinking too deeply unnecessarily? Any advice to keep my mind at ease would be great. Thanks everyone.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    A smart psychology prof once told us that 'repetition' is a great way to learn material. Sounds basic, but somehow most of us are guilty of thinking we can understand the material by just reading it or reading it once. So it's better to 'actively read', I mean try to ask questions, relate concepts, find similarities, contrasts and so on. Most importantly be practical when feasible. Remember, IT is not about reading Plato!

Have u read the official guide from ISC?
    Nope. Just the Darril Gibson book which everyone seems to choose over the official ISC2 book.

I just purchased the 150 question StudyIsScope set from ISC and scored a 78% on the first set of 50 questions. Some answers that seemed to be the most obvious answer were in fact not - and it appears that not all of the material is covered by Mr Gibson.

I also hear that most people feel they failed the test but end up passing. Is this because they put more weight on the easier questions?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Realize that the tests at the end of each chapter are only to test your understanding of what you just read, not test your readiness to take the SSCP exam.

No one is 100% confidant when sitting for an exam. Eventually, you just need to schedule your exam and do your best to discover what it is that you still don't know that you don't know and learn it.
  • G.HaydukeG.Hayduke Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Try to use the official SSCP guide as well as a reference. I used both, but ended up relying much more in DG's guide. It's an easier read and it covers pretty much the same material. Still I found the real exam questions to be a little bit harder than the end of chapter tests.

I did a review a while ago of both sources, you might find it useful: http://www.techexams.net/forums/isc-sscp-cissp/95994-so-i-took-sscp-exam-today.html
    Unfortunately, No time for the official SSCP guide as my exam is scheduled for tomorrow. I did find some excerpts online and what a complete different guide. Boring but more detailed and it would have been in my best interest to have both from the get-go.

I read your review and it is very informative. Nice write up.

Anyhoo, wish me luck tomorrow!
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How did it go ?
    I passed!! Time to enjoy the three day weekend :)

Happy Ramadan!
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Arnie335 wrote: »
    I passed!! Time to enjoy the three day weekend :)

Happy Ramadan!
    Congratz! I hope you found it as easy as I did.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!