CUCM 8.6.2 + CUPS for lab IM

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
Hi,

I've been playing around with Cucm 8.6.2.10000 and just installed CUPS 8.6.2.10000 as well on VM. The post install tasks have been done, both can ping each other and linked with local NTP server (router running on subnet connected for vSwitch with cucm/cups).

I am not using DNS yet, so it's just based on class C ip range. I have the 7940/7960 and IP Communicator working with CUCM, can make calls to each other etc...but I can't seem to figure out how to make CUPS work so that I can login on VM or physical machine connected on the lab subnet with Cisco Jabber client?

Has anybody done this and have you followed a guide that you can share that I can check step by step against my config to troubleshoot it?

I basically would like to have a lab setup where on top of my physical 79xx phones and IP communicator soft-phone I can also use CUPS to login with Jabber client to my CUCM/CUPS server and use it as softphone + IM ?
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Hi, exactly what I've been following so far :) Was checking if someone else gone through here and have some tips or notes as well to compare.
    I haven't done a 8.6 deployment in some time. There were some differences between that one and 9 which I can't think of now. What errors are you getting on the CUPS server. It should tell you were the integration is having problems.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    I'll revisit it this weekend in the lab, did you find 9.x easier or more involved? I can spin up 9 in VM as well if it's worth it over 8.6?
    I would **** the 8.6 your not going to see vary many new deployments of it anymore. 10.5 is the main standard being deployed right now with a few companies still doing 9.1.

To answer your question for the most part yes, but it depends on the Jabber integration they can become a pain in the ass when using Office 365, or a CUIC-LYNC deployment.
    Currently Reading

Yeah, I know all about the federation issues between ms ocs/lync connect/jabber, but for this lab env. I am keeping it jabber / ip communicator / cisco VoIP phones only ;)

I'll spin up 9.x, don't have any 10
    Just do a 9x cluster that should be fine for right now. Is there anything in particular you are trying to learn?
    Currently Reading

I want to learn IM/Presence using CUPS, and then how the integration works with Jabber client for both IM and Softphone using CUCM.
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    8.6 and 9 CUPS from a server standpoint configure exactly the same. SIP Trunk, AXL User, Enterprise parameter for Presence on CUCM side. Enable CTI Gateway on CUPS side and confirming connectivity to CUCM via SIP trunk. Adjust ACLs if needed in CUPS as well.

The differences are provisioning users with the introduction to Service Profiles in 9.x and how you assign IM&P capability to a user. In versions 8.6 and below you have to assign end users from system, licensing, capability assignment. In version 9.x it's a simple check box and assigning the service profile to the end user.
    I got both running now in VM host, but with the 9.1.1.x the licensing is different and it looks like it will expire much sooner than 8.6 icon_sad.gif

I haven't figured out how to extend it as a demo to 180 days, you are supposed to copy/paste license content to cisco page once you login and that's where I am stuck.
    Um the licences for 9x all expire without proper licencing. There are some ways around it.
    Currently Reading