Anyone gonna watch Halt and Catch Fire?

phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
Halt and Catch Fire – AMC
Halt and Catch Fire is set roughly one year after IBM all but corners the market with the release of its first major product – the IBM PC. In this fictional drama, a former IBM executive, Joe MacMillan (Lee Pace) plans to reverse engineer the flagship product of his former employer and forces his current company, Cardiff Electric, into the personal computer race. MacMillan enlists the help of Gordon Clark (Scoot McNairy), a great engineer whose unrealized dreams of creating a revolutionary product have created tension in his marriage to Donna (Kerry Bishé), and Cameron Howe (Mackenzie Davis), a volatile prodigy who puts her future in jeopardy to join MacMillan's rogue PC project. Halt and Catch Fire thrives on the spirit of innovation and explores what it's like to stand at the forefront of something world-changing and work towards it, no matter the risk.

Looks good, I'll give it a shot.

Comments

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never heard of it glad you mentioned it though so I can check it out.
  • biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I saw the commercial for this over the weekend. i will set my DVR to record it, and hopefully it won't spiral off into another basic poke and prod fake love story series.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah...Steve Gibson was talking about this on the SecurityNOW podcast. I'll probably check it out.
  • ccnxjrccnxjr Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just saw the pilot, I may need to watch more!
  • djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've seen every episode so far. Great show.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm rather enjoying this show as well. It's doing a good job of making wonder what happens next week.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Great show! Love how theyre breaking out the nitty gritty hardware, the data recovery scene with Donna (Kerry Bishe') was badass.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like I have a new TV show I have to watch.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yea, it's a very good show.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I catch it but some things just go over my head. What was up with that police beating?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    John Bosworth (senior VP/Head Honcho of Cardiff) was basically sending a message to Joe MacMillan (Thranduil) that he was the one still running the show. He was making a point of the fact that he still had power and connections since he was the one that got Cardiff to where it was until Joe showed up with IBM huffin' and puffin' on his heels.
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Another thing...what happened with the disgruntled former employee in the house with the shotgun?

Man, I really need to go back and re-watch it over again.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    As far as I know: nothing. Whether he becomes anything meaningful in the future wouldn't make sense unless he becomes a point of tension thrown in for some extra drama or something, but it's apparent that they have all the drama they need. Maybe IBM will scoop him up to use against Cardiff or something.
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love this show!! I wish they would make more IT related shows. The other I enjoyed, was Silicon Valley on HBO but it's end of season right now.
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was wondering if this would be worth watching. Sounds like I need to give it a try.
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    It is a great show, after growing up in that time frame and being a computer fanatic, it is actually doing a good job of showing the crap that went on in those days, it was a dog eat dog world, unlike anything that goes on now. Now a days the major players, no matter who's name is on the machine are pretty much stabilized and we have a progressive movement, that is actually pretty predictable, back then, no way in hell it was each man for himself.

Although I spent quite a bit of time in combat mode, while in the Military, much of my 26 years was behind a computer screen and has been since before I went to the academy and has continue since I retired.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.