Options

HDI Certifications.

itsmianitsmian Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Morning All,

Has anyone taken the HDI certifications at a higher level? I'm wondering what they do go through, especially at the Support Center Manager / Support Center director stage. I'm interested in working in that side of IT Operations Management, so I figured I would work my way up the track.

For other professional development, has anyone taken their Problem Management certification?

I get it, they are a money grab, and not a cheap one at that.

Currently I'm studying the first level certification (HDI-CSR), and I'm finding it a rather large waste of time. (Again, I want to certify up the ladder just to have.)

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've seen these more pushed by the company. I don't know many people if any who proactively go out and get them on their own. I think it's a bit redundant since you have ITIL. If you like service management I would recommend picking up a book and joining a forum that is service management specific.

As for these certs, forget about it. :)

As always just my opinion.
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    I have the HDI-CSR and honestly it was a joke. Management at the time was pushing for ITIL-centric certifications and the dart landed on HDI. It was an online vocab test essentially.

BUT it was my first cert and finally allowed me to add the "certification" part to my resume. It was a talking point when transitioning from Help Desk to Sys Admin because it helps demonstrate an aptitude for customer service which is incredibly important throughout your career IMO.
  • Options
    itsmianitsmian Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I want to say, thank you for the feedback on the

I can agree that HDI-CSR is a near total waste of time. I haven't worked in support for several years, and most of it is common sense. I just want to go up the track and get a feel for how HDI operates.

Its an easy grab though. Always good to brush up on some fundamentals. Customer service is something you never, ever escape. Even now, outside of a hard-it role, I find it a lot more useful. I totally agree with you lsud00d. No customer service = useless as brick in any role.

My big question is, how are the later certifications? I do, have this weird desire, probably nostalgia, to go spend a year managing a "support center" I'm wondering if its a good way to round out some team lead and manager experience? Not to mention, my current job has a healthy bit of support center management to it.

N2IT - Service management = Win. I read a lot of Service Management. I just need to get the funds together to go grab the Intermediate ITIL certifications (RS and V / OS and A especially)(I want to take the courses before the exams, as I'm starting to move away, at lightning speed from hard-it positions into the service management world.)

My 24 month goal is CAPM / ITIL RSV / ITIL OSA right now. Not to mention some Certificates from some local schools in a few affiliated areas of my job. I'm just taking the HDI stuff to take a gander before courses start on the program I want.