Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Sounds like you spoke to someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I'd definitely apply anyway, it's free, so you have nothing to lose.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes, you talked to someone who is clueless. I've said this countless times, the ECs are the weakest link at WGU. Call someone else, you've got enough work experience and enough college experience, either of them would get you in on their own, you have both. Even the talk of high level certs is bonkers, people are taking the A+, a MTA or even a CIW exam (which are so low I don't even put them on my resume) and they get admitted.
  • Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Yes, you talked to someone who is clueless. I've said this countless times, the ECs are the weakest link at WGU. Call someone else, you've got enough work experience and enough college experience, either of them would get you in on their own, you have both. Even the talk of high level certs is bonkers, people are taking the A+, a MTA or even a CIW exam (which are so low I don't even put them on my resume) and they get admitted.

The guy on the phone really didn't sound well versed in the university at all or what the IT programs encompassed, it was really a pointless call. I only took it because I thought it was mandatory to be interviewed by an Enrollment Counselor. He basically told me not to waste my time applying because the acceptance board is "super strict on the requirements" and not to bother trying to get in with only an A+ or CIW Web Foundations cert because those are too low level.
  • Options
    Well, you do have to go through an EC, just not that one. Just call back and get someone else. I went through 2 that didn't return calls or know anything until I finally got someone decent then the whole thing went smoothly after that.
  • Options
    CloudKill9CloudKill9 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    According to WGU, you don't meet the requirements. The below is what you need.
    To be admitted into this online IT degree, you must:
    • Possess a high school diploma or its equivalent.
    • Demonstrate IT experience through at least one of the following four methods:
      • Have earned an associate’s degree in IT or equivalent (A.S. or A.A.S. acceptable) (you do not have an AS/BS)
      • Have completed the following high-level IT coursework within the last five years: (you stated you did not complete any)
        • Two or more upper-level Networking courses OR
        • Two or more upper-level Object-Oriented Programming courses (Java, C#, etc.) OR
        • One or more upper-level Operating Systems course OR
        • One or more upper-level Information Security and Assurance course
      • Hold transferable IT certifications earned within the last five years (you may have completed this but it was outside the allowed timeframe)
      • Submit a resume showing three-plus years of IT work experience (you have two years)

You should try to get your Net+ or A+ and then try again, alternately, seek a different EC if this wasn't explained to you.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    WGU may be the only school I know that has a technical requirement to begin a bachelor's program... I don't know how I feel about that. I get that they want to only accept students who have a high probability of success, but for someone looking to break into IT beginning with education (which traditionally has been a very valid path) that door is essentially shut. I can understand how it could be frustrating.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    My mistake, I thought it was 2 years, not 3. Either way, I'd appeal it, he's got more than enough college credit for an AS, whether it was an AS or not, he's got almost enough professional experience. Worst case just do a CIW cert, could probably study and pass that in a week.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    WGU may be the only school I know that has a technical requirement to begin a bachelor's program... I don't know how I feel about that. I get that they want to only accept students who have a high probability of success, but for someone looking to break into IT beginning with education (which traditionally has been a very valid path) that door is essentially shut. I can understand how it could be frustrating.

The issue is it's 100% self study. If they let people in without being able to prove they can even do the tiniest bit of self study they'd have a lot more people failing. I'm sure it's frustrating but I just look at it as a pre-req, a fairly easy one at that considering the rest of the stuff you'll need to do in the program.
  • Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick question:

I start on the 1st of July. Is there a way to take pre-assessments before starting? And if so, how? The pages for each course is so disorganized. Maybe I just dont fully understand the layout...
  • Options
    cv1849cv1849 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In the process of applying for the BS-IT Security. I don't have any traditional IT certs or experience. I am a Digital Forensic Examiner. I have a CFCE from IACIS, an ACE certification from AccessData and a mobile forensics certification. I think I may be wasting my time after reading some of this thread.
  • Options
    Do you have 3 years of doing it on your resume? If so, then that fills the requirement. Or, just work on one of the easier/cheaper certs and then get accepted.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    The issue is it's 100% self study. If they let people in without being able to prove they can even do the tiniest bit of self study they'd have a lot more people failing. I'm sure it's frustrating but I just look at it as a pre-req, a fairly easy one at that considering the rest of the stuff you'll need to do in the program.

But then, so are all of their degrees... which in a way defeats the purpose.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Do you have 3 years of doing it on your resume? If so, then that fills the requirement. Or, just work on one of the easier/cheaper certs and then get accepted.

4 years. Counselor is not sure that whoever reviews my "resume" will make the connection.

Is the Comp TIA A+ the easier/cheaper certs you would recommend?
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I'd go with the CIW Web Foundations cert (1D0-610), it's $150 and very basic.
  • Options
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REALLY obvious question I hope;

So; while checking out the certifications/course PDF...

Since I have the MCITP/MCSA in Windows 7 (enterprise desktop support and enterprise adminstrator) does this waive ALL the courses it says this cert can count for? for example AXV1, CPV1, DHV1, DIV1 all say can be waived with either of those MCITP's I have... does that mean ALL of them do or does the cert only count for one class?

Since I have never done college before it has confused me just a little.. haha

-scott
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any course that has a particular cert listed is waived. So if 4 classes have MCITP: EA listed, all 4 classes are waived.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for you replied srabiee; you've been very helpful!

-scott
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For anybody who is doing the IT - Security program, what sort of hardware setup has served you best for all the certifications and classes that are part of the program? Also looking for specs that are needed to run some of the software and if it is a desktop or laptop and why?
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've seen it mentioned a few times here but what does it mean that WGU can waive the MTA exams? For example if you have the A+ or Network+, does this mean they will waive the MTAs?

Thanks
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you take the higher level certification, that means you don't have to take the lower level MTA.

Network+ waives MTA Networking fundamametals
    Security+ waives MTA Security fundamentals
    CIW Database waives MTA Database fundamentals
  • Options
    Thanks, I found this on another board but the course numbers may not all be up to date but I believe it still applies:

anoeljr wrote: »
    If you take the higher level certification, that means you don't have to take the lower level MTA.

Network+ waives MTA Networking fundamametals
    Security+ waives MTA Security fundamentals
    CIW Database waives MTA Database fundamentals
  • Options
    I created a spreadsheet to map everything out, yes for your track it is 39, for other tracks it is lower or slightly higher because of course requirements.

BSIT Net Admin/MCITP=39

I will be taking the Net Admin and Management (I think).

So now I have to decide do I do A+, Linux+ and Network+(5 exams) or do MCITP (5 exams).
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    The MCITP:EA transferred into WGU:
    AJV1 - 6
    EAV1 - 4
    EBV1 - 4
    DVH1 - 3
    CRV1 - 4
    ABV1 - 6
    AHV1 - 6
    AIV1 - 6
    Total 39, sorry was 1 off

This was transferred in for the BS IT-Net Admin track start date of June 1st 2014
  • Options
    Which is the harder route? MCITP:EA or A+,Network+, Linux+?
  • Options
    snapdadsnapdad Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□

I'd say MCITP:EA is definitely harder.
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    icon_lol.gif The level of difficulty between the two is not even remotely close. MCITP:EA route would certainly be harder.
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    slatkinslatkin Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Question for you guys. I started the BS:IT Security path 03/14, and am moving right along. I have 21 CUs completed, with another 3 that were able to be transferred in mid-term (I passed the 70-680 at work, so WGU waived a MTA course for me), so I look at it as 24 CUs down so far.

My question is, would it be wiser to switch to the BS:IT path without the Security label, so I can avoid the CCNA/CCNA Security classes for now? These certs are 100% achievable, and I plan on passing them on my own. My biggest unknown or worry is I would spend TOO much of a college term dedicated to these certs, when I can just study and take them on my own without having a college schedule involved. This way I can complete my degree, get that chapter closed, focus on what will be a tough new year next year, and study the Cisco stuff on my own dime and time so I don't feel like I'm wasting each day of my school term and driving myself crazy.

My wife and I are expecting some big medical hurdles to become pregnant, and that process starts this summer, which will hopefully bless us with a child spring of next year. If I keep on my current pace, I should have no issues graduating by March of '14, as long as I don't get tied down with a heavy course like CCNA. What do you guys think?

Also, is the normal BS:IT path going through course changes similar to the IT:Security path? (Right now, I can expect to have 18 CUs waived from my requirements next term since I haven't' began the Java classes...)

Edit: Forgot to add the numbers. I transferred in a total of 58 CUs, completed 21 CUs at WGU, and right now have 54 CUs to go. My mentor informed me that right now, I will have 18 CUs waived due to changing requirements in the IT Security degree, so I basically have 36 CUs to go.
  • Options
    This may change things for me and puts starting at WGU more in reach for me based on certs I already completed.

How long did it take you to get through the first three exams which is the MCSA?

So comparing MCSA-3 exams to CompTIA(A+, Network+ and Linux+) - 4 exams it seems like MCSA is the way to go unless it is 2-3 times as hard? So far none of the CompTIA exams were a walk in the park either.

In the end I think there may be more value with an MCSA than those three certs and it would give more credit. Also If I decide one day then I could just continue on to the MCITP since it requires the same three cert/exams.

Edit, started studying for 70-640. I'll see how it goes from there. If I can finish all three MCSA exams in the next couple of months, I think I may have satisfied all the IT requirements I wanted to start Network D&M, assuming I can pass any entrance assessments.
    NOLAJ wrote: »
    icon_lol.gif The level of difficulty between the two is not even remotely close. MCITP:EA route would certainly be harder.
  • Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @slatkin

If I were in your situation I'd just switch to the regular BS:IT degree because it would be cheaper and you'd be able to get through it much faster. You can certainly get the CCNA certs on your own.
  • Options
    brianray14brianray14 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just stumbled upon this forum yesterday and read quite a few threads. Lots of bright and articulate folks were talking about WGU so I started looking into it and it sounds pretty awesome but of course a few questions popped into mind and was hoping to gain more insight into this endeavor.

A brief background on me is I'm 35 years old living in FL, going to sit for my A+ in two days, have zero IT work experience and have an associates degree unrelated to IT (radiography). I'm looking into gaining my net+ and sec+ before enrolling into the BS-IT sec (or net admin) program. Now to the questions:

1. Approx how much writing is required? Is a thesis or dissertation required before graduation? Are there any presentations/speeches required?

2. For folks that have graduated from WGU, how well is that university received by interviewers/recruiters? Have you guys/gals found it difficult to obtain employment after graduation with WGU on your resume?

3. I read somewhere here that some certs are only being offered in-house. Is this true or can most or all be taken at any pearsonVue testing
    center?

4. How many gen ed classes have most of you had to take before/during taking cores? Would it be advisable to get those out of the way at the local comm college?

5. I wasn't too bright in my late 20's and got not only one but two dui's. Last one was in 2010. In your opinion, would it be a waste of time, energy and money for me to go after a BSIT degree? Would WGU turn me away? This is the main determiner that is holding me back from pulling the trigger on advancing my education (aside from not wanting to take on any more student loan debt). The last thing I want to do is waste all that time only to find that I'd never get a job with those infractions looming over head.

That's all i can think of ATM that I haven't seen a definitive answer on so thanks for reading and a HUGE thanks to those who offer their opinions.