Options

Input Needed

AddixtionAddixtion Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I am about to sit for my Network+ exam this week, which I am really excited about. So I was wondering which certificate I should start studying for after, and someone advised me to look into Linux based on what I want to do. I am VERY interested in the "Internet of things" revolution that's coming. I know that is mainly Cisco pushing hard for that, but I want to get into the brains of that if that is the correct term. Just need some more advice on if I am on the correct path. I am interested in home automation as well.

Just a little background information about me I have a B.A in marketing looking to switch careers.

Thank you all!

Comments

• Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to know about the internet of things, then you'll need to understand how the internet is going to be everywhere, and nowhere. In my opinion, the best way to understand this is to know how our world will be programmed. So, learn programming. People might have a different opinion on that, but none of them replied to this topic anyway! haha
  • Options
    Lol, that is true. When I spoke with an IT professional (VP of their IT Division), he insisted that I learn Linux since everything such as switches, servers, etc run on Linux. Another opinion would greatly be appreciated.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    Addixtion wrote: »
    Lol, that is true. When I spoke with an IT professional (VP of their IT Division), he insisted that I learn Linux since everything such as switches, servers, etc run on Linux. Another opinion would greatly be appreciated.

The environment I work in is 100% windows on the server side. Sure, many switches/routers/firewalls run Linux under the hood, but you don't need to know Linux to configure/operate/troubleshoot them.

I do think that learning Linux is great and that it has some awesome uses, but at your point you might want to pick one discipline and go for it. Getting all the CompTia certs isn't going to help that much because they are all extremely high level in terms of what they cover. If you want to do networking, start into the CCNA. If you want to do linux, start into something like the red hat certs. If you want to do windows servers, start on them Microsoft certs...etc..

Going deep into one area will get you a decent IT job faster than broad, but shallow knowledge.
  • Options
    Hello, thank you for your input Heero. I plan on going deeper into a field, but my problem is I am not quite sure what I want to do yet. I feel like if I touch a bit of everything I would get a better idea I what I wanted to do. I was thinking about trying linux, however I am not quite sure what kind of jobs I would get if I went down that route. Also, is Linux a role player in building "The Internet of Everything" or should I be looking into other things such as programming mentioned by abyss.